Does the cli integrate with the desktop app (like the browser extensions)?

jcassee
jcassee
Community Member
edited October 2021 in CLI

Hi,

I'm looking for a simple way to insert passwords from the 1Password desktop application on the command line (on Linux). For example, to login to a VPN that uses a regular password and a one-time password concatenated I can use the following command that pulls the credentials from pass.

$ nmcli connection up myvpn passwd-file <(echo vpn.secrets.password="$(pass myvpn/pass/user@example.com)$(pass otp myvpn/otp/user@example.com)")

I would like to do something similar using 1Password. However, it seems op uses its own session state. Can I hook it up to the desktop application? Or does the desktop app has a separate command line interface?

1Password Version: 8.3.1
OS Version: Arch Linux

Comments

• Hello @jcassee

I'm a developer on the team responsible for the 1Password CLI tool.

Hang tight, as we are actively developing the feature for system-wide authentication across the CLI and the desktop clients so that the CLI does not need to constantly be re-authenticated every 30 minutes.

I can't tell you when exactly it will be done, but we are working on it.

Actually, we are about to introduce an early access program soon. Although there is no guarantee that this feature would be included in the first early access version, it will be added to it once it's ready.

If you are interested in signing up for early access before we announce it, I encourage you to email us from the support site at https://support.1password.com/contact/ and ask to speak to the product team!

I hope this information is helpful, and if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to continue chatting with you!

• jcassee
    jcassee
    Community Member

That's great to hear! I'll ask the product team for early access. Thank you.

• Thanks for your interest in the 1Password CLI early access!

• defreng
    defreng
    Community Member

that feature would be super awesome!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @defreng, and agreed :)

• arkaitzj
    arkaitzj
    Community Member

Hi is this supported now in beta? soon?

• Hi there folks, the second version of the CLI with biometric authentication via the desktop application is now live, feel free to check it out here:

https://developer.1password.com/docs/cli/get-started

• defreng
    defreng
    Community Member

Works beautifully - thank you so much guys!

• No worries, let us know if we can help with anything else!

This discussion has been closed.