Which cookie should I keep to prevent new logins at every browser start?

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member

This super annoying bug in 1Password 8 is killing me, so I give in... :(

Which cookie should I keep to prevent new logins for every browser start?

(login = new email and new "authorised device"; I have more than 50 Safari browsers listed there!)

1Password Version: 80400012
Extension Version: 2.1.3 (Safari)
OS Version: macOS Big Sur 11.6

Comments

• Can you describe the bug you are seeing in more detail?

It would help so that we can test and determine the best path toward fixing it.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

This:: https://1password.community/discussion/123854/new-1password-sign-in-from-safari-email-every-time-i-start-safari

Turns out it’s not just a mail, but also a “new” (Safari) “device” on 1Password.com after every browser (re)start.

• Have you tried allowing the 1password.com cooke/cache?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Unfortunately I don't see any 1password.com cookies for Safari...

(I do see them for 1password.community, but those are only for this forum?)

There's a web extension with a UUID though; can that be 1Password related?

safari-web-extension_<UUID>_0.localstorage

• I see a section in Cookie for "1password.com", which includes several .accounts.1password.com cookies (I have multiple accounts, so you may only have one item there). You are correct, the 1Password.community cookies are only for this forum. Have you signed in since the last time the cookies were deleted?

I also see the safari web extension named with a UUID like you mentioned. I opened that database in an inspector and it appears to be the local storage associated with the 1Password Safari Extension. The UUID is likely auto generated, so it may change if you ever reinstall the extension.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Before and after logging in I don't see any 1password.com cookies; maybe that's part of this bug?

Can you please post a screenshot of what it should look like (to make sure I'm searching for the right thing)?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

In Vivaldi-Browser actually I have 4 cookies matching 1Password. Maybe this helps?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I did not see 1Password (account) cookies in Cookie and I don't see them in Safari either...

• Ben
    Options

@XIII

Do you have anything in Safari that might be blocking them from getting set?

Ben

• Safari simplifies things and includes all the cookies under 1password.com, and 1passwordusercontent.com.

When using Cookie, it looks like this:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Definitely don't see those cookies...

I have these other extensions installed:

• AdGuard
    • Instapaper
    • Pinboard Tools
    • Backspace

I don't see how any of these would be blocking 1password.com cookies?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

PS: This machine is under enterprise MDM; maybe security software is blocking the 1Password cookies?

(but no others? so doubt this is it)

• I would try with Cookie.app disabled and see if that changes anything. That would narrow down the issue.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Good suggestion!

The problem does not seem to reproduce with the Cookie App disabled.

Now I wonder what's so special about 1Password that it breaks Cookie... (unlike anything else on my Mac / in my browser)

• Thanks for doing that troubleshooting.

One difference between the 1Password extension and most other extensions you may have is that 1Password requires some additional data for it's end to end encryption and the extension stores it in local storage. Clearing local storage data would lead to the behaviour you described above as not everything can be stored in cookies. Could you double check that your Cookie.app configuration is set to leave local storage untouched for the web extension? Above you mentioned that you found safari-web-extension_<UUID>_0.localstorage in Cookie.app, that sounds like the right thing to exclude from cleanup. I installed a demo of Cookie.app to have a quick peek at my own extension data. I primarily use Chrome and Firefox myself so the presentation is different but the principal is the same. I do see that Cookie.app is able to find my local storage and it correctly identifies it as extension data, is it doing the same for you as well?

This discussion has been closed.