Feature request: close 1P browser extension window after copying one time password

Options

Hi, I noticed that one sites where 1P doesn't fill in the one time password automatically I have to, after copying the code in 1P browser extension, click besides the 1P browser extension window (in Firefox anyway) before I can paste the code into the field on the website.
This feels like an extra unnecessary step because in my usage flow copying a one time password is always the last step in 1P before login into a site. How do you guys see this?

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: 2.1.7
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @janpeeters ,

We keep the popup open in case you need to copy stuff to places outside the browser (e.g. a 3rd party app with a login screen), that way it will be much more comfortable than having to re-open the extension to copy every field.

If you are copy-pasting into a website, then the extension will close anyway as soon as you focus into the field you're pasting into, like so:

1. Open the extension.
    2. Copy the TOTP.
    3. Click the TOTP field on the website to focus it so that you can paste - 1Password's window will close.
    4. Paste.

Step 3 happens anyways, you can't paste into the field without focusing it so the extension's window should close up for you. Is that not what you are experiencing?

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron I can understand that considerations.
    Maybe I got lost in the different options that you guys offer.
    You can have 1P in the browser and you can have 1P standalone with a browser extension (maybe the extensions are the same?).
    What for me would be a logical use case is that you use the browser extension for everything related to the browser, not for 3rd party apps. And that you can use the menubar item for 3rd party or the standalone 1P.
    In my case the browser 1P often obscures the TOTP field so clicking the field on the website means two clicks, one to close the 1P window and one to activate the TOTP field.
    How do you see this?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @janpeeters ,
    Thanks for the additional information.

The extension can work as a standalone extension and it can also integrate with the desktop app and work with it. In either case it will function the same when it comes to copy-pasting.

I do see what you mean though - after you copy, if you click directly on the field you want to paste into, it will dismiss 1Password's window but will not focus inside the field - that will require another click. That behavior is more related to the browser and how it handles focus, but I can see how dismissing 1Password's window automatically will serve you here. However, that'll hurt other users' workflow especially when copying or dragging/dropping multiple items from 1Password's window.

Actually, you might find dragging and dropping the best solution to your situation as it might save you that extra click (and a bunch of keyboard shortcuts). Please try this:

1. Get to the TOTP field in question.
    2. Click the 1Password extension icon to open its window.
    3. Instead of copying the TOTP field, grab it with your mouse and drag it from 1Password's window into the field on the website, then drop it there.

That should fill the TOTP in the field without you having to copy-paste anything, and no need to focus the field with your mouse as well!
    Using drag and drop you can fill in any field, even ones that are not meant to be autofilled.

Does that help your situation?

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron, it could work how you describe but often 1P browser extension window obscures the TOTP field, so you have to click even one additional time. That makes it too much clicks for my liking.
    See how 1P obscures Atlassian's TOTP field. https://d.pr/i/AQeg0T/cfA72pdfFE.
    Dragging and dropping will not work with the TOTP field invisible.
    I have this problem on many websites. Am I missing something?

• Hello @janpeeters,

Thank you for your screenshot. It does take us some extra steps when the popup menu covers the fields we need to copy. In this case, when opening the popup menu, you can select the three dots icon at the top right corner > Open in New Window, and you can drag and drop the popup to another place. Alternatively, you can try the shortcut here to do the same thing.

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hi @Nhat_Nguyen, thanks for your contribution. From a UX perspective the possibilities you offer are, in my opinion, quite problematic. Why not design a 1P browser extension window that doesn't obscure fields, e.g. that shows itself on the right side in the browser window and temporarily compresses the content of the window when visible and moves back out when ready/dismissed. Or shows itself as a small 1P bar on top of the page.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional feedback and input here @janpeeters , You are right.
    We should temporarily hide or compress the window when it blocks the view of a field, the problem is that it is extremely complicated to achieve in an environment such as a browser.

I'll forward this to the development team for investigation and consideration though. Thanks again for bringing this up!

ref: dev/core/core#10914

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your time and for forwarding it to the development team @ag_yaron!

• @janpeeters

On behalf of Yaron, you are most welcome. Hopefully the drag and drop feature works as a reasonable workaround for you in the interim.

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_chantelle The drag n drop workaround is not helping too much. I can more quick copy click twice paste than drag n drop. But thanks for your reply. And hoping for a more UX friendly solution in the future. Thanks for 1P so far!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2021
    Options

Thanks @janpeeters .

I think in edge cases where 1Password blocks the view of the username/password field of the website, you can minimize or enlarge the zoom on the page using CMD and + (Command and the PLUS key) or CMD and - (Command and the MINUS key), which will help in some cases as it will move the page around and make it bigger/smaller, but 1Password's window will stay the same size, allowing you to drag and drop quickly and easily.

Regardless, I also hope we will see a better implemented solution to this problem in the future :)

This discussion has been closed.