Secure Note has bold text

Options

I have at least one secure note that plain text in the NOTES area. The issue is that when viewing the note either via the browser extension or via the 1Password app I see areas of text that are bolded. For the life of me I can not figure out how to remove the bold attribute. I have copied the area of text above the affected area, which is normal style plus the affected text and pasted it into Windows Notepad thinking that if there is hidden formatting commands that should remove it.

I then copy the text from Notepad back into the Secure Note and save it. Absolutely no difference. The strange thing is that during the editing process none of the affected text is bolded. It is only bolded in extension or 1Password app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: Windows10 21h1

Comments

• Hi @Fedup:

1Password 7 for Windows does not have formatting support. To confirm, are you using 1Password 7 or 1Password 8 Early Access?

If you're using 1Password 8, Secure Notes are formatted using Markdown. Are the affected areas of text wrapped in asterisks, like so: not bolded **bolded** not bolded?

Jack

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    Options

The issue is the same in 1Pasword7 and 1Password8 Early Access. Same areas in a secure note are showing up bolded in either version of 1Password. in 1Password8 which is currently installed here, there are no asterisks in any of the bolded areas.

• Hi @Fedup, thanks for letting us know that this issue occurs both in 1Password 7 and 1Password 8. This does sound like a rather strange issue to run into!

Given that this issue occurs in both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8, it's likely that this has to do with hidden characters, which can affect how text is presented on-screen. As @jack.platten mentioned, 1Password 8 uses Markdown formatting, but 1Password 7 doesn't - leaving hidden characters as the major possibility to explain what you've been seeing so far.

Quick question: was this text, which is appearing in bold in 1Password, copied from some other source? That might be a way that hidden characters could end up in the formatting of this text.

If you'd like to look into this a little further, there are some apps that can present hidden characters to the end user. VS Code is one of them: https://code.visualstudio.com/

This VSCode extension can be helpful too: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=wengerk.highlight-bad-chars

I hope this provides a helpful next step. We can understand the need for proper formatting, and hopefully this helps shed some light on what might be going on here. Does this sound like it makes sense according to what you've seen? We'll look forward to hearing from you!

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    Options

This text was in a Lastpass export from earlier this year. In Lastpass none of this text was bolded. Copying and pasting the test into Notepad on Windows would that not strip out the hidden characters?

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    Options

Update. I installed VS Code and the extension loaded up the affected text in a txt file but saw no hidden characters. I then selected ALL of the text in the secure note, pasted it into Notepad then copied the entire text from Notepad into a NEW Secure Note. The bolded text disappeared

• Glad to hear recreating the note worked @Fedup! :smile:

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    Options

I had another note suffering the same issue. The key is NOT to edit the secure note but simply open the note in a separate window, select all the text and paste the text into Notepad. The separate window in 1Password shows the bolded text while the 1Password editor does not. Once the text is in Notepad you create a new secure note and paste the text into the new note. The bolded text does not appear in the new Secure Note.

You do NOT want to edit the affected note in 1Password and then select all of the text in the affected secure note and paste it into Notepad. This is because for some reason when one then copies the text out of Notepad into a new secure note the bolded text reappears in the new Secure Note.

• @Fedup, thanks for getting back to us with these details. Much appreciated! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.