Not locking 1Password8 on browser close

Options

I am using 1Password8 8.4.0 on Windows10 21H1 using 1Password extension for Chrome 2.1.3. I have these settings in the app

Since this is a desltop computer I do not want 1Password to autolock EXCEPT if the browser is closed. Today I closed the browser and opened it back up after 2 hours only to find 1Password was still unlocked. Should I have "Lock 1Password when computer locks" so that 1Password auto locks the extension?

BTW I do NOT have the 1Password app loading on startup. This is because over the years with other password managers I have grown accustomed to doing everything via the browser extension.

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: Windows10

Comments

• Hi @Fedup, I think I know what's going on here.

Newer versions of 1Password have a "shared lock state" between the desktop app (1Password for Windows, in your case) and the browser extension.

Given that your security settings currently tell 1Password not to lock when the computer locks, and not to lock after system idle time, it sounds like what happened is something like this:

1. Turn on computer, do not open 1Password for Windows
    2. Open browser and unlock 1Password for your browser there
    3. Shared lock state maintains continuity in lock settings between apps, so that setting is functionally "do not lock 1PW"
    4. Exit browser
    5. Re-open browser - same setting still applies.

Does that make sense?

If you would like it to lock in this scenario, I do think adjusting the "lock when computer locks" setting would be a good idea. Let me know what you think! 😀

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry but it has been a long week here.

The reason why I wrote this was as I had explained I believed that 1Password never locked itself when only using the extension and not having the app loaded. Before I wrote the initial post in this thread I closed the browser and then started it back up. 1Password extension remained unlocked so I posted here.

I just now closed the browser and opened it back up and this time the 1Password extension was locked and I had to enter the password. This is what I always would want to happen. I do not know if the experience earlier today was a blip or what but I will have to keep an eye on 1Password and see whether it behaves itself.

All of the above was without 1Password app running.

P.S. What does 1Password mean "when the computer locks"? This computer does not hibernate nor sleep. Nor does the Windows lock screen come on when the monitor blanks out due to inactivity. In this case, does the computer actually lock?

• @Fedup With the "Connect with 1Password in the browser" option enabled, the browser extension will only lock when 1Password desktop app locks. If the browser is closed and re-opened and the 1Password desktop app is unlocked, the extension is automatically unlocked. Also, with the connection enabled, when opening the extension, you will be prompted to unlock in the desktop app instead of in the extension.

It sounds like what may have happened is the first time you closed and re-opened the browser, the app was still unlocked and then second time it was not.

In 1Password 8, under Preferences > Security, there are a few options where this behavior can be changed. For example, reducing the time to lock when idle. There is not currently an option to immediately lock when the browser connection is broken.

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    Options

I have used various password managers over the years on Windows via browser extensions. The ones I used I did not have their app, if any loading when windows boots up. Ever since I switched to 1Password for Windows the 1Password app is not loading on startup. Up to this point, I have no use for the 1Password app. That may change down the road but at this stage, I just want to use the browser extension.

Even if the 1Password8 App is not loading on Windows start up are you saying the browser extension is still interacting with the app?

• @Fedup Yes. When "Connect with 1Password in the browser" is enabled, it will open the desktop app to unlock if it is not currently opened. If you would like to disable the connection with the browser, go to "Preferences > Browser" and uncheck "Connect with 1Password in the browser."

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I did that in the app and locked the app so its passwords are not visible as I never use it. If I discover that the extension starts misbehaving again after the browser is closed for extended periods then it is not this communication between the browser extension and the app.

• If I discover that the extension starts misbehaving again after the browser is closed for extended periods then it is not this communication between the browser extension and the app.

Agreed! Please let me know if this happens and we can continue to help.

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    Options

@K.J._1P

I can see where the 1Password app would come in handy so I have it set up with the following settings

The app locked after 30 mins of activity last night. Due to the extension settings, it remained unlocked. In my usage that is fine so I do not always have to enter my master password in the browser. Overnight I closed the Chromium based browser and when I opened the browser up this morning the extension was locked. So far so good. However, when I unlocked the extension this morning the 1P app remained locked. I locked the extension and logged into the 1P app and it did not unlock the extension. I thought that unlocking the App would unlock the extension and vice versa.

I do not understand what is happening here.

• @Fedup Thanks for the details! It only works in one direction. Unlocking the desktop app will unlock the extension, but unlocking the extension will not unlock the desktop app. However, if unlocking the app didn't unlock the extension, that is unexpected. It sounds like the connection between the browser and app had not been successfully established.

Was there an update pending in your browser? The connection can only be securely established when the browser is up to date.

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    Options

Brave is up to date Version 1.32.91 Chromium: 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) beta (64-bit ) extension is 2.1.4 and Password app is 1Password for Windows 8.4.0. Locked the extension. Unlocked the app and the browser extension remained locked.

• @Fedup thank you for providing those screenshots of your settings in both the desktop app and the browser extension! I took a look at them and I believe I've spotted the issue. In the browser extension's settings, you have the "Integrate with 1Password app" setting toggled to the off position (this can be found at the bottom of the "General" section).

If you toggle the setting back to the on position, the browser extension should be able to successfully lock / unlock in tandem with the desktop app. Let me know if that gets things working for you!

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_jarek Yup that looks like what the problem was. When I enabled that then logging into the 1Password app unlocked the extension. My question is why have two settings for the integration. One in the 1Password app and one in the browser extension. Isn't that overkill?

• @Fedup good question :) on the browser extension side, having a toggle for app integration allows users with multiple browsers / browser profiles to keep the extension operating independently from the app in the specific places they'd like. On the app side, having a toggle allows those who don't want to have any kind of browser integration to disable it entirely, which lets the desktop app shut down some things required for the integration and avoid doing extra work.

This discussion has been closed.