1Password for Safari v2.1.3 doesn't sync changes from desktop app

Options
snozdop
snozdop
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I frequently (multiple times per day, and always after editing items) have to toggle the Integrate with 1Password App setting off and on for the 1Password for Safari extension to pick-up any changes made to items in the desktop app (either 1Password 7.9.x or the Early Access 1Password 8).

How do I make the Safari extension show changes automatically and immediately?

1Password Version: 7.9.x and 8 Early Access
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @snozdop ,

First, we need to figure out where the sync stops - does the desktop app sync the changes to your 1Password.com account immediately, or does it take some time?
    If the desktop app syncs the changes to your 1Password.com account immediately, then we can continue investigating why the extension doesn't get the new/edited information on the spot from your 1Password.com account.

Please test it like so:

• Open your 1Password desktop app (do not have both version 7 and 8 installed simultaneously - only have one of them installed, then open it).
    • Create a new login item and call it "Test". No need to input anything else in it. Save the new item.
    • Check the 1Password extension in your browser and see if the new item is present there. If not, log into your account on our website and check if the new item is showing there.

In case the new item is not present in the extension and in your 1Password.com account, we'll need to investigate why the desktop app doesn't sync/push new information to your account.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Will do some tests and get back to you.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Take your time and let us know what you find when you get around to it. :+1:

• cagnew
    cagnew
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue. I tested by creating a new login labeled, "TEST" using version 1Password for Mac 8.4.0, but it did not sync to the Safari extension version 2.1.3. I did check the iOS app and "TEST" did sync to my iPhone.

I did reboot my Mac but it didn't help.

• cagnew
    cagnew
    Community Member
    Options

The issue has been resolved for me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2021
    Options

Thank you for the update @cagnew. For future reference, how did you resolve it?

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. The problem is often intermittent which makes spotting patterns a little trickier.

From my testing, it's clear that the sync is broken between 1Password,com and the "1Password for Safari" v2.1.3 extension.

Updating an item in either 1Password 7.9 or the early access 1Password 8 syncs immediately to 1Password on the web. I can literally see it update on the web instantly as soon as I click Save in either desktop app.

Whether that change makes it to the "1Password for Safari" extension is hit or miss. Sometimes it will work almost instantly. Sometimes it won't and requires toggling of the "Integrate with 1Password App" setting, and then I have to wait 30 seconds or more for the extension at the Loading... screen.

Even toggling the setting doesn't always trigger the update. I can click the Edit button in the "1Password for Safari" extension, which takes me to the 1Password website to edit the item, make a change, Save, switch to the Safari extension and no changes show up.

Frequently, the "1Password for Safari" extension will just sit at the loading screen with spinner for ages (30 - 60 seconds, even longer sometimes) before allowing me to use it.

In my latest test, I updated an item at 07:37 and the change took until 07:54 to show up in the "1Password for Safari" extension, and only did show up after I turned the "1Password for Safari" extension off completely in Safari preferences, and then turned it back on again and logged-in (after the obligatory minute or so wait on the loading screen).

It's very frustrating and makes the "1Password for Safari" extension completely unusable for me when it's playing up.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @snozdop ,
    Thanks for the update here.

In order to figure this out we need to take the 1Password desktop app out of the equation. We need to test syncing between 1Password for Safari and our website only, without any additional stops in apps/clients.

Please turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" option in 1Password for Safari's settings, then test it by creating a new item in your account on our website. As soon as you save the new item, check the extension and see if the new item is found there. You can also test by creating a new vault (call it "test"), switch to that vault and create new items in it, then see if you can find that vault in the extension's vault view selector and see the items in it in real time.

You can also try locking and unlocking the extension to see if that affects the syncing time, but that shouldn't be required.
    In case you don't see anything new showing up in the extension, I'd like you to take it a step further and try this:

1. Restart your computer.
    2. Restart the modem/router in your house.
    3. Disable any anti-virus / firewall / vpn / any app that may affect network traffic on your computer.
    4. Test and see if you are able to reproduce the issue then.

As for the other issue you mentioned where the extension takes a long time to load up - that's related to the integration with the desktop app and needs to be investigated separately. When you turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" option in the extension's settings, it should no longer get stuck on "Loading" when you open it. Let's troubleshoot this after we're done with the syncing issue.

This discussion has been closed.