What is the best way to store the main password on my computer?

Options

Hello!
seems like a silly question but I would love to hear some suggestions :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @KotKate!

For maximum security, the main password should not be stored on your computer. If you need to store it, you can do so in the Emergency Kit, which you then store in a safe place.

This article has some suggestions:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@KotKate I guess you're asking about your Windows account password. I store this in 1Password in a place where my family can get it if required. However, as I need to enter it before 1Password is available, it's one of the 7 passwords I memorise.

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hi @KotKate, this information is correct if you were instead referring to accessing your Windows account. While your Windows account password can be safely stored in 1Password, @rootzero is correct (thank you :)), you will not be able to access 1Password until after you have signed into your device.

With regard to accessing your Windows account, depending on your setup and situation, you can look into the different options Windows Hello has to offer for accessing your device.

I hope this information helps!

• KotKate
    KotKate
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your answers!
    I am sorry I wasn't clear...
    I am looking for a safe place on my computer\phone to save the Master password of 1Password.
    For now it is saved on my google passwords but it doesn't feel safe enough...

• Hi @KotKate:

We don't recommend saving your account password anywhere else. It should be be unique, random, and memorable: How to choose a good Master Password

Jack

This discussion has been closed.