Error "Incorrect authentication code. Make sure your device has the correct date and time"

Options
yashvind
yashvind
Community Member

I keep getting the error

I have checked the time on both Auth app and browser using https://time.is, it's exact same.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.1.BETA-1 (70901001) 1Passw
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.6
Referrer: forum-search:Incorrect authentication code. Make sure your device has the correct date and time. Confirm 1Password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @yashvind!

Where is the TOTP code being generated? You mentioned the Authy app, so I am assuming this is happening on a mobile device. If that's the case, is the time of the mobile device correct?

• yashvind
    yashvind
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it’s on mobile (Google Authenticator). And yes, time is correct and same on both the desktop browser and mobile Authenticator app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yashvind:

Are you able to login directly on your mobile device? So from the same device that is generating the codes?

• yashvind
    yashvind
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried it using mobile safari and same issue.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yashvind:

So it's possible that your authenticator is generating the wrong codes from the get go. Do you have access to the TOTP QR code? I would try configuring a new entry and see if the new one is generating different codes.

• yashvind
    yashvind
    Community Member
    Options

I am not familiar with TOTP QR code. Is there a reference article that I could use to learn more about how to use it? A google search didn't yield much actionable for me!

I am sure I have used the same authenticator to log in past. Since I am able to use mobile/desktop 1password client, is turning off MFA and setting it up again an option?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@yashvind Yes, that's an option and is in effect what ag_ana was suggesting. The TOTP QR code is the two dimensional bar code that is displayed during 2FA set-up with an authenticator app. Go to https://my.1password.com/profile/2fa and click on Replace next to the authenticator app.

https://support.1password.com/two-factor-authentication/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yashvind:

When you set up 2FA on a website, you typically scan a QR code to add it to your authenticator app. Simply replace the authenticator app as per rootzero's instructions, let's see if the new codes work :)

• yashvind
    yashvind
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Since I can't access my.1password.com, I used desktop client to turn two factor off, and set it up again. But same issue again. I even tried to use two different authenticators - Google Authenticator and Auth. Codes are same on both and it doesn't work on my.1password.com

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yashvind:

But same issue again. I even tried to use two different authenticators - Google Authenticator and Auth

This seems to confirm a problem with the device itself then. To make sure this is indeed the case, are you able to configure the TOTP app on a different device, to see if things work when codes are generated from there?

This discussion has been closed.