Remove all Japanese translations in the current 1Password product.

原文(Original text):
大変残念ですが、現状の1Passwordプロダクトにおける日本語翻訳をすべて削除することを提案します。

1Password製品における日本語の翻訳品質は、お世辞にも良いとは決して言えず、有償プロダクトに求められる品質を全く満たしていないように見受けられます。
ただ低品質であるだけなら、直すべき箇所をフィードバックして品質を作り込めば良いと思うのです。しかし私は、現状の1Password製品にとってそれが適切だとは思えません。

現状の1Passwordプロダクトにおける日本語翻訳は、悪意ある詐欺メールの文面に類似しており、1Passwordプロダクトの価値を著しく損ねるのみならず、1Passwordプロダクト自体が悪意ある詐欺的行為やプロダクトと見分けがつかないという、深刻な事態が現在進行形で進んでいるように見受けられます。
一例を挙げますが、Windows版、Firefox Add-on版、Android版との間で、同じ文言のはずの箇所(例えば「Terms of service」など)が全く異なる語で表記される[1]、体言止めと用言止めが混在する[2]、「だ・である」調と「です・ます」調が混在する[3]、全く意味が通らない翻訳が指摘しきれないほど多数ある[4]など、少なくとも日本語ローカライゼーションを実施するための環境が整っていないように見えます。

こうした状況をさらに年単位で放置してコミュニティの善意による翻訳の整備を待つのは、日本における1Passwordブランドのさらなる深刻な毀損を招きかねず、日本で1Passwordプロダクトを使用する利用者のためにならないと考えます。
このような提案をせざるを得ないほど現在の1Passwordプロダクトにおける日本語翻訳の品質に問題があること、そして、そろそろ根本的な解決を模索してほしいことを、ここに提起いたします。

拙訳(My translation):
I am very sorry, but I propose to remove all Japanese translations in the current 1Password product.

The Japanese translation quality of the 1Password product is far from being good, even by flattery, and it seems that it does not meet the quality required for the paid product at all.
If the quality is simply low, I think we can give feedback on what needs to be fixed and improve the quality. However, I don't think that is appropriate for the current 1Password product.

The Japanese translation of the current 1Password product is similar to the wording of malicious fraudulent emails, which not only significantly diminishes the value of the 1Password product, but also appears to be an ongoing serious situation in which the 1Password product itself is indistinguishable from malicious fraudulent actions or products.
For example, between Windows, Firefox Add-on, and Android versions, there is different words for what should be the same phrase (for example, "Terms of service"[1]), mixtured phrases not to be mixture[2][3], and there are too many translations that don't make sense at all to point out[4]. It seems that at least the environment for implementing Japanese localization is not in place.

I believe that letting this situation continue for another more years and waiting for the community's goodwill to develop a translation could cause further serious damage to the 1Password brand in Japan and would not be in the best interest of users of 1Password products in Japan.
I hereby submit that the quality of Japanese translation in the current 1Password product is so problematic that I am forced to make such a proposal, and that it is time to seek a fundamental solution.

--
[1] Android版 7.9.1.BETA-1 の「法律情報」と、Windows版80400023の「利用規約」
[
2] Firefox add-on版 2.1.7 の設定…→「侵害されたパスワードをチェック」「アプリとウェブサイトのアイコンを表示」(体言止め)と、「1Password を以下の場所に開く」「ショートカットで開く」(用言止め)
[3] Windows版 80400023 のメニュー(…)→設定…→一般的→「通知エリアに 1Password を固定する」(「だ・である」調)と、「Markdown を使用してセキュアノートをフォーマットします」(「です・ます」調)
[
4] Android版 7.9.1.BETA-1 の「脆弱性されたパスワードをチェック」「について」、Firefox add-on版 2.1.7 の「1Password を以下の場所に開く」、Windows版 80400023 の「助け」「一般的」「いついて」

1Password Version: 8.4.0(Windows)/7.9.1.BETA-1(Android)
Extension Version: 2.1.7(Firefox add-ons)
OS Version: Windows 11 Build 22483/Android 10/Firefox 95.0a1

Comments

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

"The Japanese translation of the current 1Password product is similar to the wording of malicious fraudulent emails...."

PS: Konnichiwa from USA. <3 Japan !

• Thank you for the feedback on this, @testdata. We are in the process of evaluating how we can better support Japanese and other languages going forward.

Ben

• testdata
    testdata
    Community Member

原文(Original Text):
    唐突な提案にもかかわらず、真剣に検討してくださりありがとうございます。
    もし検討されるなら、次のことを要望したいです:

1. 翻訳対象となる文字列リソースは共通化して、プラットフォームやバージョンなどの異なる実装の間でも同じ翻訳になるようにしてください。
    2. 製品としての翻訳の正しさや品質は、人間が判断するようにしてください。

これからも 1Password がリーディングブランドであり続けることを願い、応援いたします。

拙訳(My Translation):
    Thank you for giving serious consideration to my sudden suggestion.
    If it is considered, I would like to request the following:

1. Please share the string resources to be translated so that they are the same across different implementations, such as platforms and versions.
    2. Please judge by humans the correctness and quality of the translation as a product.

I hope and support that 1Password will continue to be a leading brand.

• Hello, @testdata. I wanted to let you know that the translation files that we have are shared across all of the 1Password 8 clients. They're not common between 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 because of the wildly different application architectures, both in terms of the technologies that we use, and the wordings of the various strings we have in the applications.

• testdata
    testdata
    Community Member

Thank you for response, @Savanni. and Thank you for letting me know that 1Password8 clients are built based on Electron, so applications containing string resources are shared across platforms and architecture.

I hope that the unify of translation string resources, across platform, architecture, or underlying technology, will spread to Android applications, Firefox add-ons, etc.

• James.Dressel_1P
    edited November 2021

@testdata,

I just wanted to provide you with an update. We have removed the Japanese translation from our current beta release, and we are exploring ways to bring back an improved translation.

Thank you for response, @Savanni. and Thank you for letting me know that 1Password8 clients are built based on Electron, so applications containing string resources are shared across platforms and architecture.

I hope that the unify of translation string resources, across platform, architecture, or underlying technology, will spread to Android applications, Firefox add-ons, etc.

The same set of translated strings are currently used on our desktop clients and browser extensions. In the future, translated strings will be shared across all platforms. To add a bit of nuance, we have a shared "core" built in Rust. The core handles localization, and passes strings to Electron for rendering on our desktop clients. The browser extensions currently also use this Rust "core", and so share the translated strings with the Desktop clients. Next year we will release Android and iOS apps that use the same "core". More info on the architecture.

The release cycle for the browser extensions is different from the desktop clients. As an example, I expect there will be at least one more release of the Firefox add-on with the current Japanese translations.

• testdata
    testdata
    Community Member

Thank you for response, @James.Dressel_1P.

I looked the architecture diagram shown. I understood that the string resources to be translated are aggregated in the Backend (core) View Model. If that's the case, I think it will fundamentally solve one of the major problems in the current Japanese translation. I deeply appreciate that 1Password's engineers are working on issues related to translation.

And I hope that we can find a fundamental solution to the problem of the quality of translations.

• Thank you, @testdata. We are looking forward to improving this translation. Thank you for your feedback on this matter! 😀

• @testdata, You are correct, that is the case.

• testdata
    testdata
    Community Member

Thank you for response, @PeterG_1P and @James.Dressel_1P .

Looking at the architecture diagram uploaded, I thought it was ideal as an architecture.

I would like to continue this year's subscription in the hope that what is actually translated through Crowdin will reach production quality.

• ticksgt
    ticksgt
    Community Member

It has been four months since the Japanese translation was removed, how is the progress?

• Hi @ticksgt, as a matter of policy we can't share news about a feature before it's released, but this is an ongoing area of focus for us here. I promise we haven't forgotten about Japanese support, and we'll share news about it when it's ready. We want to make sure it's up to the appropriate standard, and are looking forward to when we can post an update about it!

• testdata
    testdata
    Community Member

I confirm that the Japanese translation is selectable in version 8.8.0 (80800106) of the Nightly build. I greatly thank the many people worked to resolve this issue.🎉

• ticksgt
    ticksgt
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

I'm very happy that the Japanese language has finally been implemented. Thank you very much. 😊
    Unnatural translations are still present, but it would be better to recreate another topic.

This discussion has been closed.