Chrome extension requires to be unlocked always

Options
Shouvik91
Shouvik91
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

The chrome extension has to be kept unlocked so that the password can be filled in the forms. I know that I can keep it locked when I am not filling up a form. But to unlock it every time I need it is inconvenient. And the downside for keeping it always unlocked is that all the passwords can be revealed if someone else uses my system.

I would rather like if the reveal feature is gone from the extension. Is there any other way I can do that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: Chrome (macOS)

Comments

• bradr
    bradr
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having this problem. Specifically the app doesn't seem to detect the browser

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hey @Shouvik91 ,

1Password should remain locked when you're not using it. Keeping it unlocked constantly is the best security practice.
    If you find unlocking inconvenient, there are a couple of suggestions I can make:

• Change your password to a strong memorable password: https://1password.com/password-generator/?type=memorable - a memorable password is easy to remember and type, but is still very strong.
    • Install the 1Password 7 desktop app on your computer, so that the extension will integrate with it. Once it is integrated, you will be able to set up Touch ID or Windows Hello unlock in the desktop app, which will allow you to unlock the extension with it, making it super easy and convenient to unlock it even 100 times a day.

There is no way to disable the reveal option, but even if there was - that wouldn't be helpful because it is just as easy to copy the password and paste it into a plain text field and see it. To keep your data secure - keep 1Password locked.

@bradr The issue you are showing in your screenshot is a different one that is not related to the original topic.
    If you don't have the 1Password extension installed in Chrome, you need to install it in order to be able to use the desktop app in Chrome. If you do have it installed and are still seeing this message, restart your computer, open and unlock 1Password, then open Chrome - that should fix it.

• Shouvik91
    Shouvik91
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_yaron ! Using the touchID is better and convenient.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed! Just make sure you don't forget your Master Password because of it ;)

• dkg
    dkg
    Community Member
    Options

Please register another loud vote to get rid of the "REVEAL" prompt. That particular "feature" was not present in the standalone 1P v6 that worked so well for m. Once I have unlocked the application or extension I see absolutely NO reason why the needed password is not visible. A very large percentage of web page password fields do not have the "Show" option (and even then, that is one more unnecessary mouse click..) and many, many times I need to see the passwords before submitting it to the web page.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dkg thanks for reaching out about this. While there is not a setting to display all your passwords in the extension if it is unlocked, you can reveal your passwords for each login item by clicking the chevron icon to the right of it, then click Reveal. Or press Control-Option (or Ctrl + Alt) to reveal all passwords in the item details.

The app is a bit different. If you wish to keep your passwords visible at all times while the app is unlocked, you can do the following:

1. Open the app, click 1Password 7, and click Preferences.
    2. Go to Security > Display and de-select "Conceal Passwords".

I can leave feedback on your behalf to request for similar settings in the extension. That said, I hope this helps. If I've missed anything, or if you have any further questions, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.