OTP are being repositioned

Options

In 1Password7 I always placed my one-time passwords into a section called "Security", and within these sections I kinda always had other fields too. Now what I've realized in 1Password8-BETA, it moves my one-time passwords out from these sections and places them in the default username/password section thing. This is really not what I want, I placed my OTPs into sections in 1P7, I want them to stay in the same place in 1P8 too.

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10

Comments

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    Options

Can you post screenshots of what you mean?

• dentyber
    dentyber
    Community Member
    Options

I created an example item in 1P7. In 1P7, the "one-time password" field is in the section "Security", this is where I placed it by myself.

But in 1P8-BETA, the "one-time password" is not being shown in the "Security" section but in the username/password default section thing.

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    Options

Pardon my ignorance, but why does it matter if it's under the security section?

• dentyber
    dentyber
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Because it's not always a simple login entry. For example I have an entry which has multiple OTP codes in a given section alongside of some other codes, and I need all of them to login to an application. It's just not in the right place, I place it where I want in 1P7, I want it to stay at the same place in 1P8 too.

• dentyber
    dentyber
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Also another example, if I have a username and password for an application, and in another part of the application I need some other username and password AND the OTP code, then 1P8 messes it up, because it moves my OTP to the default username/password section, but the reality is that this OTP belongs to a another credential which is found under a given section.

What 1P8 would do here, is that it would move my OTP to the "my_vpn_username_123" section, despite of it should belong to "myvpnuser_123".

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

You're merging 2 login items into one, so 1Password doesn't know what to choose for autofill.
    Create 2 distinct login items: one for my_vpn_username_123 and one for myvpnuser_123.

• Hi @dentyber:

As Tertius3 touched on, it sounds like these are two closely related, but logically independent sets of credentials.

The visual confusion is something that we've been working on improving. The reason why the first one-time password field is brought to the top is to show that it will be autofilled.

Jack

• dentyber
    dentyber
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jack.platten

I see the idea behind it, but it's something that messes up some of my entries. Sometimes the OTP simply does not belong to the 1st section, and it's automatically being brought to there. Maybe some settings for this will be available in the near future?

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @dentyber. The bar for adding a setting is fairly high. We get a lot of requests for settings/preferences, and if we were to add them all the app would be so full of checkboxes and switches it would be unmanageable. That isn't a 'no,' but I felt it was only fair to address the question and make the point that adding a setting or preference is generally a last resort, and instead we try to design the app to do the "right" thing for the vast majority of cases. I'll ask our design team to consider if there is a way we can do better here — whether that is a setting or some other solution.

For the immediate future, Tertius3's suggestion may be the best workaround for this particular case. Have you tried splitting this item into two separate Login items?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.