I can't understand how to use 1Password

Options
Bathrobe
Bathrobe
Community Member

I've had 1Password for a few months now and I am having big problems with it. Specifically the interface. For instance:

1. 1Password suggests a password. I accept the suggestion. The suggestion doesn't go into the entry box. So I when I then try to log in, the site tells me the password is wrong (or tells me to enter a password). What's the use of generating a password if 1Password doesn't actually put it into operation?

2. I am trying to sign up at a site. 1Password doesn't offer a suggestion. So I have to think of my own password. Why does this happen?

I just find the behaviour of 1Password so erratic it is almost impossible to use.

I also get annoyed when 1Password continually pops up when I'm entering my email, etc. I don't need this service. I just want 1Password to generate, enter, and remember usable passwords.

Am I the only person who finds 1Password completely unintuitive to use? And almost useless since I eventually have to fall back on my old system of creating and remembering passwords.

What am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.7

Comments

• kram5819
    kram5819
    Community Member
    Options

There is a small learning curve, BUT let me suggest going to YouTube and watching some tutorials.

What operating system do you use? Windows?android? Mac? Mobile device or laptop? Or both? Android or iPhone? Also, let me tell you from personal experience that once you get past the "curve" you should find 1password excellent at securing your accounts and much easier to use. I am just a consumer like you, and I am not affiliated with 1password BUT I have used several password managers and 1password for me has been the best of the bunch.
    I find the security protocols they take are what sets them apart from a few other password managers. Sure I would love to see some small improvements (like log in with pin or password) for those of us that use a laptop, and a few other small things but all in all 1password gets an A grade from me. Don't give up If I can help feel free to reach out.

It would be helpful to know what operating system you use because 1password works a bit different on Windows than say a Chromebook.

I bet soon others will comment on your post here this forum has a lot of helpful people that help as best they can.

• Bathrobe
    Bathrobe
    Community Member
    Options

As noted below my question: OS Version: MacOS 10.15.7

• kram5819
    kram5819
    Community Member
    Options

Ahh, I see that now I didn't notice before. I am sure the folks at 1 password will help out I have a Chromebook so am not familiar with the Mac operating system...

• Bathrobe
    Bathrobe
    Community Member
    Options

The problem I have is with the interface. I assume it's the same across all platforms?

Today I had a problem getting 1password to memorise a password I'd generated myself (since I couldn't seem to get 1password to do it for me). I finally managed to get 1password to remember the password, but I actually had to sign in to 1password, and not expect it to just be there automatically doing its job.

• Hi @Bathrobe:

This definitely isn't the experience we want you to have when using 1Password.

Just as an example, this is what I see when using 1Password in the browser to create a login on a website:

If I then click the suggested password:

If this isn't the experience you're having, let me know, and I'd be happy to investigate further with you.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.