Set default Collection

Options

Hey, is there a way to set one of my Collections as a default so that it will be selected / turned on everytime I open 1P8? It's a bit annoying doing this manually all of the time.

Windows 11, 1P8 latest nightly.

Comments

• Hi @namiaro,

That's such a great question and I'm so glad you're finding Collections useful enough that you'd want to jump there by default; We think it's such a powerful feature with so much potential. For 1Password 8 we've been focusing restoring 1Password to where it was when you closed or locked it. Our aim is to get you right back to where you were on the basis that most often, you'll want to be there again.

If this misses the mark for you, I'd love some feedback about the ways in which you'd find a default-restore more helpful than restoring the last-used (in-app) location.

Let me know so I can provide that feedback to our design and product teams.

Thanks for making 1Password 8 better for everyone!

• namiaro
    namiaro
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

@ag_andrew

Thank you for the reply. I've started experimenting with 1P8 and one of the features I miss the most from 1P7 is the ability to hide selected vaults from the main "view". As someone had pointed out in the other topic, Collections could be a great way to achieve that.

In my case I've created two collections - 1st with vaults I want to be seen all of the time and the 2nd one with vaults I want to remain hidden all of the time.

The present solution which is restoring the last-used (in-app) vault has three major flaws for me - 1. it shows tags from all of the vaults, not just from the selected one which makes the main window more cluttered than it should be, 2. I'm not able to select two vaults at a time, 3. I'm forced to manually select one of the Collections everytime I open 1P8.

Collections on the other hand allow me to do all of the things I mentioned above and more and I'd love to be able to select one of the Collections as a default view.

• Thanks @namiaro I think your two Collection approach is really good. I have a couple of clarifying questions for you, just to make sure the app is behaving the way I think it should.

First let's give some names to your two Collections so that we're both talking about the same things. Let's call the Collection of the vaults you want to see your "Everyday" Collection, and the Collection of vaults you want to hide the "Hide Me" Collection.

1. If you've selected your "Everyday" Collection, are you seeing tags from items that are only in your "Hide Me" Collection? If so I need to know about that because that's a bug I want to fix.

2. If you're in you've selected the "Everyday" Collection and you lock or quit the app, you should be returned back to the "Everyday" Collection once you've unlocked. If that's not happening, please let me know because again, that's a bug I want to fix.

• namiaro
    namiaro
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_andrew

As for your questions:

1. If I select "Everyday" Collection, I'm not seeing any tags from "Hide me" Collection. It's cool and I really hope it's a feature and not a bug :)

2. If I'm in and select "Everyday" Collection and then lock or quit the app (checked both), after unlocking or restarting the app I'm returned back to "All items" under MAIN account. I've tried selecting different vaults within "Everyday" Collection, but I'm always back to "All items" under main account.

If I'm under main account (so that I'm seeing all of the vaults) and select one of the vaults, after locking/unlocking or restarting the app, I'm returned back to the last vault I've selected.

1Password for Windows 8.4.0, 80400033, on NIGHTLY channel
    Windows 11 x64 22000.282

• @namiaro That's hugely helpful and plenty of information to see if I can track down that bug.

The filtering of tags to only the active Collection is definitely a feature. The bug would be if you were seeing tags from outside the active collection.

• namiaro
    namiaro
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_andrew
    I don't want to jinx it but the bug I've described earlier seems to be fixed in 80400039. As of now 1P remembers last used Collection.

Thanks a lot for the help, I think it's polished enough for me to stop testing it in VM and upgrade 1P7 on my main machine 8-)

• Hi @namiaro, so glad to hear it! Let us know if you run into any more sticky spots. 💜

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @namiaro !

the bug I've described earlier seems to be fixed in 80400039

Yes! This seems to be fixed. Just installed the latest nightly build and it works. :+1:

• namiaro
    namiaro
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_andrew
    I just wanted to let you know that unfortunately there is a regression in latest 1Password for Windows 8.5.0 80500006, on NIGHTLY channel. It stopped saving previously selected Vault/Collection.

• Hi @namiaro,

That's strange, I'm running that same version (on my Mac) and it's working for me. Could you provide some steps for me to reproduce it so I can get it fixed up?

There are a few places where we don't yet persist your location (tags and search are the most common) so if you happened to be looking at a tag, or looking at search results, it will appear like a regression.

• namiaro
    namiaro
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_andrew

Scenario is basically the same as described in earlier posts - let's say I've got two Collections: 1. "Everyday" and 2. "Hide me".

If I'm in and select "Everyday" Collection and then lock or quit the app (checked both), after unlocking or restarting the app I'm returned back to "All items" under MAIN account. I've tried selecting different Vaults within "Everyday" Collection, but I'm always back to "All items" under main account. It was fixed in late nightly version just before stable v8 was released but it's not working again.

Hiding tags is working fine - if I select "Everyday" Collection, I'm not seeing any tags from "Hide me" Collection.

Another weird behaviour I've found out (and mentioned it in the other topic) is resetting selected "Everyday" Collection to "All items" under MAIN account when using Quick Access and "Open in 1password" option. It's a bug in my opinion, the shortcut should do exactly what it says in its description and nothing more. The reset concerns not only Quick Access but the selected Collection in the main app also.

• namiaro
    namiaro
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    1. Saving previously used Collection in the main app window when locking/exiting the app still doesn't work on latest nightly (1Password for Windows 8.5.0 80500035). It was fine in beta. It gets really irritating when you lock/unlock the app often.

2. "Quick Access now supports changing vault collections independently from the main 1Password window." from the latest changelog - a) Selected collection resets in Quick Access after locking/exiting the app, b) If i select e.g. "Everyday" Collection both in Quick Access and in the main app, the Collection resets in the main app after using "Open in 1Password" in Quick Access.

• namiaro
    namiaro
    Community Member
    Options

Still a problem in the latest nightly...

• Hi @namiaro:

Apologies for the delayed response. I wasn't able to replicate this behavior on 80500063.

Just as a quick check, if you navigate to %localappdata%\1Password\settings in File Explorer, and open settings.json in Notepad (right click > Open With> Notepad), change collections, and open settings.json again so you now have two separate Notepad windows open, is the value of "ui.routes.lastUsedRoute" different between the two windows?

Jack

• namiaro
    namiaro
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hey @jack.platten
    Thanks for the ansewer.

When i change the Collection the value of "ui.routes.lastUsedRoute" changes

from
    "{\"type\":\"ItemList\",\"content\":{\"unlockedRoute\":{\"collectionUuid\":\"VALUE1\"},\"itemListType\":{\"type\":\"AllItems\"},\"category\":null,\"sortBehavior\":null}}",

to
    "{\"type\":\"ItemList\",\"content\":{\"unlockedRoute\":{\"collectionUuid\":\"VALUE2\"},\"itemListType\":{\"type\":\"AllItems\"},\"category\":null,\"sortBehavior\":null}}",

(where VALUE1/VALUE2 is alphanumeric text string)

but when I lock/unlock or close/open 1p again, the value of "ui.routes.lastUsedRoute" resets to VALUE1.

I've just reinstalled 1p, updated to 80500064 (and deleted old %localappdata%\1Password folder), but the problem still exists. Not sure if it matters, but desktop app is connected with 1p Brave extension.

The rest of the settings.json:
    { "updates.updateChannel": "NIGHTLY", "advanced.EnableDebuggingTools": true, "itemDetails.showWebFormDetails": true, "updates.autoUpdate": false, "app.theme": "dark", "ui.routes.lastUsedRoute": "{\"type\":\"ItemList\",\"content\":{\"unlockedRoute\":{\"collectionUuid\":\"VALUE1\"},\"itemListType\":{\"type\":\"AllItems\"},\"category\":null,\"sortBehavior\":null}}", "security.autolock.minutes": 60 }

• namiaro
    namiaro
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @jack.platten
    Thanks for the ansewer.

When i change the Collection the value of "ui.routes.lastUsedRoute" changes

from
    "{\"type\":\"ItemList\",\"content\":{\"unlockedRoute\":{\"collectionUuid\":\"VALUE1\"},\"itemListType\":{\"type\":\"AllItems\"},\"category\":null,\"sortBehavior\":null}}",

to
    "{\"type\":\"ItemList\",\"content\":{\"unlockedRoute\":{\"collectionUuid\":\"VALUE2\"},\"itemListType\":{\"type\":\"AllItems\"},\"category\":null,\"sortBehavior\":null}}",

(where VALUE1/VALUE2 is alphanumeric text string)

but when I lock/unlock or close/open 1p again, "ui.routes.lastUsedRoute" resets to VALUE1.

I've just reinstalled 1p, updated to 80500064 (and deleted old %localappdata%\1Password folder), but the problem still exists.

settings.json looks like this:

{ "updates.updateChannel": "NIGHTLY", "advanced.EnableDebuggingTools": true, "itemDetails.showWebFormDetails": true, "updates.autoUpdate": false, "app.theme": "dark", "ui.routes.lastUsedRoute": "{\"type\":\"ItemList\",\"content\":{\"unlockedRoute\":{\"collectionUuid\":\"VALUE1\"},\"itemListType\":{\"type\":\"AllItems\"},\"category\":null,\"sortBehavior\":null}}", "security.autolock.minutes": 60 }

• Thanks for the update @namiaro. To take a closer look at what could be going on, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• namiaro
    namiaro
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

@jack.platten

I've sent the diagnostics report. Thanks in advance for help.

Support ID number is [#FTG-13447-663]

• Thanks @namiaro, we'll take a look and be in touch there.

Jack

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure if this is still considered a bug, but in my case, 1Password 8.8.0 latest beta as of today, my default collection is always only one of my two accounts. This seems to have regressed yet again. Is there a known issue? Something I should be doing differently?

• jkcarter
    jkcarter
    Community Member
    Options

Using beta 8.8.0 for Windows (80800197), ui.routes.lastUsedRoute never updates when a Tag is selected. Every other navigation route works (All Items, Favorites, Watchtower, Vaults, Archive, Recently Deleted and Item details within those routes), but not Tags.

This worked fine in 1password 7, which I was using before today. The new UI in v8 is pretty and all, but Tags are my most-used navigation feature, so not having them restore after lock / minimize is kind of a deal breaker for me.

• @jkcarter Tags and Search terms both contain user data that we did not want to store as the last navigation event until we could prevent someone from reading them. We are working on a way to encrypt these pieces of data and that will unlock (no pun intended) our ability to (safely) persist them and use them to automatically navigate back to the Tags or Search views.

• jkcarter
    jkcarter
    Community Member
    Options

Why do they need to be encrypted? Couldn’t they be given some kind of anonymous lookup id that maps to the data after unlocking?

• Great question. In the case of search terms, that isn't really possible unless because search terms are dynamic; you'd need a pretty big lookup table for all possible search terms.

For Tags, you're right, if the 1Password item data model supported it. If each tag had a unique identifier we could persist that identifier and never worry about revealing your tags. However tags are stored on each item as just a list of strings; no such identifier exists.

In my mind, encrypting those values is the best way to go to-and-from the persisted store. We just need time to get that in place.

This discussion has been closed.