Native support for Apple Silicon?

Options

I'm confused about something. I'm running 8.4.0-19.BETA on my 16" MBP M1, but it doesn't appear to have "native support for Apple silicon" as mentioned in the blog post. In the Applications section of the System Information app, 1Password 8.4.0-19.BETA appears to be Kind: Intel vs. Kind: Universal. Is this perhaps an issue with macOS 12.0.1?

1Password Version: 8.4.0-19.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1

Comments

• nighthawk
    nighthawk
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like 1PW7 is a universal binary which supports Intel + Apple Silicon, but 1PW8 is not yet updated to support Apple Silicon.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

1Password 8 is also built as a universal binary. Here is a screenshot of the latest nightly build in Activity Monitor on an M1 Mac:

And here it is in Finder:

8.4.0-19.BETA

I'm checking to see if something odd happened with that particular build. In the meantime, are you seeing something different from what I'm seeing?

Ben

• wooskies
    wooskies
    Community Member
    Options

This is what I see:

• Hi @wooskies ,

Did you migrate from an Intel Mac when you set up your M1 MBP? If so, it may have copied the Intel binary.

It should fix itself in the next update, but if you wish to fix it in the meantime, I recommend downloading the latest installer from https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1PasswordBeta.zip and running it again. It should detect the correct architecture and install the right one.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• wooskies
    wooskies
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I migrated from an Intel Mac. Thank you for clarifying!

• Hi wooskies,

Thanks for letting me know. That was likely why. We'll keep an eye on it, but the Updater should switch you over to the M1 version when it runs.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Cavolo
    Cavolo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_kevin In order to avoid user confusion, please consider using universal binary for distribution.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion @Cavolo :+1:

This discussion has been closed.