Inconsistent lock state display in 8.4.0 on W11 between App & Extension (Restart 1PW app fixed it)

Options

Hi,

I just had the experience that when clicking on the 1Password Extension for Chromium Browser (I'm using Edge 95), the pop up didn't show up (including closing and opening the browser). So I used the tray icon to initialize unlock. I then noticed that while the Browser Extension shows the unlock state, the tray icon and the 1Password App itself seem to think it's locked, even if it's unlocked. In the tray icon context menu the "lock" was not available and in the App Menu, the lock entry was greyed out. Locking it via the Extension menu locked the app.

Only after a good old restart of the 1Password app this bug disappeared. I'm speculating here, but maybe it is connected to deep hibernate (c6 power state).

As I currently am not possible to reproduce it, I can't give further directions. But if I can help, let me know.

1Password Version: 80400019
Extension Version: 2.1.5
OS Version: Windows 11 (22000.282)

Comments

• Hi @damnatus, thank you for taking the time to describe this one. I'll see if I can replicate it on our end.

If you are indeed able to reproduce it at some point (or if it just happens and you think you know what might have triggered it), do let us know here and I'll be happy to file an issue on your behalf. We always like to make things as solid as possible. 👍

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

@PeterG_1P: Had it again.

I think it has to do with Microsoft Edge and hibernate more than with the 1Password app as such. Maybe something about an issue in the communication between the 1Password Extension and the 1Password app after waking from sleep while the browser was open.

My PC went to hibernate over night (I'm using the Windows Settings "When plugged in, putmy device to sleep after {time}" in System -> Power -> Screen and sleep). I had Edge as well as the YouTube PWA open. Coming back today morning, I pressed the power button (because wake from peripherals doesn't work, that's why I said deep hibernate in the OP) and everything's back up.

But when I tried to use the 1Password Extension (Beta from Chrome Store), the "Oopen 1Password" button didn't do anything. So I went into the integrated Browser Taks Manager and terminated the 1Password Extension Process.

After that, the 1Password Extension icon was gone from the toolbar. A "balloon" notification from Edge said that the 1Password Extension stopped working and I should click on the notification to restaart the process. But while reading, the notification disappeared.

I went into the Extensions Menu and trying to deactivate and re-activate the 1Password Beta. The switch didn't respond, so I quit Edge.

As I currently test "Startup Boost" I made sure to quit Edge also in the icon tray. (It was not enabled when I first reported the issue on 2nd Nov). Then I reopened Edge and the 1Password Extension was deactivated in the Extensions menu. I activated it, the icon in the toolbar reappeared and when clicking on the "Oopen 1Password" to unlock the Extension, it worked.

But the state is still inconsistent with the tray icon (that shows the lock while the 1Paassword app is unlocked, and the App itself, where the Lock Menu item is greyed out. (And CTRL+Shift+L does not work as well)

I have saved the 1Password app logs from when I first reported the issue up to now. It seems that Edge has not such a log file location, otherwise I would have offered it.

Sorry for the long and boring detailed description of the replication.

• Hi @Damnatus , thanks for sharing these details on what you've seen!

I think it has to do with Microsoft Edge and hibernate more than with the 1Password app as such.

That may well be true. It certainly seems like a likely candidate. I think the 1Password for Windows desktop app is more likely to be affected by sleep states than the extension is, and I'd like to test that theory and pursue this a bit further on your behalf, if that's alright with you!

If you can send a short email to support+windows@1Password.com, with a link to this discussion, I'll be happy to get that started. You've provided lots of great information here to get us started!

Hope to see ya there 👋

This discussion has been closed.