Newer ask for Master Password on MacOS

Options
metaxaos
metaxaos
Community Member

Hello,
MacOS app has option to unlock by TouchID but it won't allow setting master password requirement to "Never". You can only choose 2 weeks max. On iOS you can choose "Never" so that master password is asked only if FaceID fails. Could you please implement the same logic in desktop app? I believe all app versions should be consistent. Besides, TouchID provides enough security already to relax the requirement. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member
    Options

I agree! I like consistency. And I'm the only user on my Mac and trust touch ID.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

This is probably implemented to make sure you won’t forget your master password.

Maybe AgileBits will implement that on v8 for iOS too :cry:

I hope not though; I don’t mind typing the password with a real keyboard now and then, but typing it on a (small) screen is a PITA…

• Hi all,

As @XIII mentioned, this is intended to help prevent you forgetting your master password. Touch ID or Face ID or Windows Hello is not a replacement for knowing your master password.

Jack

• metaxaos
    metaxaos
    Community Member
    Options

@jack.platten why there's "Never" option in the mobile version then? Why the difference?

• @metaxaos We've experimented with different timeouts over the years and where we're settling for now is on not having a "never" option going forward. This may change again, but Jack's answer is a very strong driver for not having a "never" setting.

This discussion has been closed.