7.9.1 upgrade for Mac crashed 1password

Options
johntighi
johntighi
Community Member

I logged onto my computer this morning and the 1password autoupdater started installing 7.9.1 on my computer.
It failed badly. It removed the old 1password app and the new one failed. The extensions on my browsers stopped working since there was no app. I had to restore 1password from backup to get it to work again.

MacOS Big Sir 11.6.1 MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, early 2015

1Password Version: 7.9.0
Extension Version: the latest for safari
OS Version: 11.6.1

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @johntighi

I'm very sorry to hear the app crashed. Please note that if you have a 1Password membership you can always access your data using our web app at https://start.1password.com, even if the Mac app is inaccessible to you. I'd like to have our development team investigate the cause of this crash. If possible, please recreate the issue, note the date & time at which the app crashed, and then create and send us a diagnostic report. Instructions can be found here:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. Note: you may need to change the To: address from the default.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Ben

• johntighi
    johntighi
    Community Member
    Options

To be clear, this was not an app crash, but more of a catastrophic upgrade failure.
    1. I am running 1password 7.9 and the autoupdater starts.
    2. I enter the credentials for it to complete.
    3. During the process 1password stops(expected), but it never restarts.(unexpected)
    the autoupdater says that 1password upgrade failed.(try again?)
    4. I look and see a 1password.app that is 10MB and is not starting.
    5. I try to reinstall, but it fails again.
    6. I see no way to download a new dmg from 1password.com without signing up for an account.
    7. give up on the process and restore from backup

This is a great exercise in recovering from a 1password failure.
    Of course, I can access my data from the website. (what is my secret phrase again? where is that? hmmm...)
    I could have walked over to my phone to get the data there too.
    But it stopped working everywhere including the extensions on the browser because they couldn't hand shake any more.
    Took a good 30 minutes to fix.

My guess is that when the autoupdater was running, it either couldn't talk to the server or it downloaded a corrupt file.
    I don't know if either one of those are valid otherwise loads of people would be complaining now. -_/-

Ill try to recreate the problem, but I'm not sure about your diagnostic tool helping because 1password wasn't running at the time.

John

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@johntighi:

Ill try to recreate the problem, but I'm not sure about your diagnostic tool helping because 1password wasn't running at the time.

A diagnostics report collect the logs until the last moment 1Password was running, so it might have contained some useful information :+1:

• @johntighi

I'm finishing up my email reply to you. Please look for it soon in your inbox.

ref: SFR-34121-212

• gkf1
    gkf1
    Community Member
    Options

Same crash thing has happened on my Mac App.
    I sent some of crash reports already.

please let me know when there is new update. it's so unstable.

• @gkf1

We have a working fix in out betas if you are interested in giving it a try. Did you send the reports from the address associated with your community account? I am not seeing any from that address. Please let me know the support id you received from our auto-responder BitBot.

Use 1Password beta releases

• gkf1
    gkf1
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

@ag_tommy

Hi thanks for your reply.

I just created this account to comment on this thread.
    so maybe this account is not connected to my 1password account.
    but email address is same.

hum, seems I didn't receive support ID and I cannot see its ID on 1 password profile page.
    https://my.1password.com/profile

let me check on betas.
    thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gkf1:

but email address is same.

Thank you for the confirmation. I have checked again, and I don't see any email coming from the email address that you use here on the forum. Do you remember when you actually sent us the email?

• gkf1
    gkf1
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

Hi Thank you for your message.
    Sorry for your confusion, but the meaning is I sent the crash report from Mac App when the app was crashed. not on the forum and the email.
    I created the forum account "gk1" with same email of the 1 password account I'm using.

Fortunately, I don't see any crashes with BETA version so far.
    It seems the issue was solved on my account.
    Thanks you so much.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gkf1:

Sorry for your confusion, but the meaning is I sent the crash report from Mac App when the app was crashed. not on the forum and the email.

I understand now, thanks :)

Fortunately, I don't see any crashes with BETA version so far.
    It seems the issue was solved on my account.

That is great to hear! Thank you for the update :+1:

This discussion has been closed.