Clean MacOS Install Procedure

Options
Gordon101
Gordon101
Community Member

I find myself in the position that I will be making a clean install on my iMac. Too much cruff and something is corrupted to the point a Recovery Partition OS install does not solve the issue. Apple's Senior techs can't help and have suggested the clean install.

This means I will be downloading fresh all my software and recovering nothing except data files saved from my current install. We use a Family Plan that we downloaded from the 1Password Store. We save our vaults in your system(s).

I can get the Version 7 installer from your website - but what else do I need? Do I need my Secret Key? Sign in Address? Etc.

If it matters we have NOT turned on Two-factor authentication.

1Password Version: 7.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.0.1

Comments

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member
    Options

Gordon101,

If only the rest of the developers had things arranged as quick and easy as the 1Password folks, life would be grand. I have done many, many "fresh installs" and never so much as had an issue with 1Password (which is the first thing I install, as that makes the rest of the installs that much easier, logins to developer web sites, Dropbox, etc.).

You'll need your Secret Key, main password (what you use to open 1Password) and that's it. I like you, use the 1Password vault to store my passwords, and that web site is a "choice" when you are installing on a fresh system.

Good luck, and if you have any issues, I've always found 1Password support nothing short of fantastic.

• Hi @Gordon101:

As @Homer stated (thanks for the assist! :smile:), you'll need the information from your Emergency Kit (which contains your sign in address, Secret Key) as well as your account password.

The steps provided here would be the best overview of everything you'll need: Get the 1Password apps

Let us know if you run into any troubles along the way and we'd be happy to help!

Jack

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member
    Options

OK I have an E-Kit I made back in 2016. I notice there is a menu item "Get an Emergency Kit" under the Account menu item. Does the system create a new Secret Key everything time one Gets a kit? If not, what would cause the Key to be changed or updates?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Gordon101:

Does the system create a new Secret Key everything time one Gets a kit?

No, that entry simply downloads your existing Emergency Kit, with your existing Secret Key.

If not, what would cause the Key to be changed or updates?

The Secret Key never changes automatically. You can change it anytime you want if you think it has been compromised:

Regenerate your Secret Key

This discussion has been closed.