QR Code

Options
jkav
jkav
Community Member

I noticed that there is a QR code setup option for setting up a new device. Can I just screenshot the QR code and put this in my wallet/safe deposit box in lieu of saving my account key? Seems like this might be a bit more secure and I could even save it in my phone’s camera roll and nobody would know about it. Is this a viable option? Does the QR code change every time I go to open it up?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Can I just screenshot the QR code and put this in my wallet/safe deposit box in lieu of saving my account key?

You could, it is also on your Emergency Kit.

Seems like this might be a bit more secure and I could even save it in my phone’s camera roll and nobody would know about it. Is this a viable option?

Its not more secure, its just a way of representing your account information that is more easily parsed by the apps than trying to OCR a text representation. Any camera app that includes a QR code parser can extract the information from the QR code, so its not a secure means of storing that information. your account information (email, sign-in server, secret key) are encapsulated in a url that looks like onepassword://team-account/add?email=example@example.com&server=my.1password.com&key=<the secret key>

Does the QR code change every time I go to open it up?

It does not, the only time the setup QR code will change is if you sign into your account and request it to generate a new secret key.

This discussion has been closed.