Tag Management

mikejg
mikejg
Community Member

I am trying to manage my tags, and it's not a very streamlined experience. Am I doing this the wrong way?

• I can't find a way to merge tags
  • I also can't find a way to easily nest tags. I had to search in the Community to figure out the "/" nesting - adding help text would be useful, even if only visible when choosing an "edit" (rather than "rename") choice.
  • Is there a way to auto-assign tags based on a centrally defined category (perhaps 1P recommends that Amazon fits into Shopping, etc?) ?
  • I'd like to view all Logins and sort by Tag so I can see those that do not have tags, and then add a tag to them.
  • I'd also like a keystroke to add a tag without editing the full record. The current situation takes 3+ clicks
  • I'd like to figure out how to remove a tag from a list of Logins at once - I have logins tagged with "work" and have moved them to "Work/AlphaCo", but there's no easy way to remove "Work" from the list without doing so individually.

Thanks in advance

1Password Version: 792b0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mikejg!

I can't find a way to merge tags

Currently there is no way to merge tags. I would be interested to know how you imagine this feature to work though. What would happen exactly after two tags are merged?

I also can't find a way to easily nest tags. I had to search in the Community to figure out the "/" nesting - adding help text would be useful, even if only visible when choosing an "edit" (rather than "rename") choice.

Using a forward slash is indeed the easiest way to created nested tags. Thank you also for the feedback to help us improve the documentation about this :+1:

Is there a way to auto-assign tags based on a centrally defined category (perhaps 1P recommends that Amazon fits into Shopping, etc?) ?

This is currently not possible I am afraid.

I'd like to view all Logins and sort by Tag so I can see those that do not have tags, and then add a tag to them.

You could use the advanced search options for this (Edit menu > Find > Show Search Options):

I'd also like a keystroke to add a tag without editing the full record. The current situation takes 3+ clicks

Do you mind directly from the list view, without selecting the specific item? If this is what you mean, you could drag the single item over the tag in the sidebar to add it.

I'd like to figure out how to remove a tag from a list of Logins at once - I have logins tagged with "work" and have moved them to "Work/AlphaCo", but there's no easy way to remove "Work" from the list without doing so individually.

I don't think removing a tag in bulk is possible at the moment, only adding a tag in bulk is supported (again, by dragging and dropping on the tag you want to apply in the sidebar).

• mikejg
    mikejg
    Community Member

Hey @ag_ana,

When merging, I would be able to multi-select using the Command+click (or Shift+click for multiple items in a row), and then, when the pointer is over one of the highlighted items, the context menu would show up (either by default or with a "right" click) with an option to Merge or Delete, much as the "right" click for an individual tag shows Rename or Delete.

When Merge is selected, I would expect one of two actions would occur:
    1. A menu would appear requesting the user choose which tag name to keep (e.g. "Finance", "Financial" or "Edit...," which pre-populates the text field with both former tag values).
    2. The user would be presented with an "Are you sure you want to merge the following tags?" message with the tags listed.
    If the user selects "yes," the tags would be merged with a merged name in alphabetical order (e.g. "Finance Financial") and applied to all associated entries.

Option 1 above requires input at the time of merge, and saves the user a couple clicks (by showing the entries to be added, no additional confirmation is required, and the edit saves a right click to choose 'rename' to get a similar result):

While the Advanced Search option is one way to find the tags, it also requires unnecessary clicks. What if I want to see that view all the time for some reason? I have to reselect / click into the Edit and Find menus every time I want to see that.

While I'm on the topic, why is "show advanced search options" under Find and not under View? It should be a toggle to always show it or not, much like "Show Item Counts" or "Vaults"

While dragging an entry over an existing tag is an option, there is no easy way to create a new tag without editing an existing entry. If the app had an always-present "Tags" section on the page, and a one-click to enter a new tag, it would allow a user to quickly create a new one. . For reference, www.rememberthemilk.com uses this type of interface:

Alternatively, including a "+" or a "right click" menu on the Tags list in the left panel would also allow me to create a tag without initially assigning it to a given entry.

If building on the Tag functionality, I would also request that you allow dragging a tag over another one to nest it. It would provide a consistent UX around tag management (drag an entry over a tag to tag it, drag a tag over another tag to nest) and would mitigate the need to manually define using a "/".

Thank you.

• LaForce
    LaForce
    Community Member

I strongly vote for bulk-editing too... Removing a certain tag from a bunch of selected items shouldn't be that hard - also adding tags. Even better would be renaming/merging tags. That would be pretty helpful to keep 1PW's items organized. Honestly - I don't really understand why such a feature does not exist...

• LaForce
    LaForce
    Community Member

Just to be sure: I know, I can remove/delete a tag alltogether, but I merely want to operate on found items (when using 'search')...

• @LaForce

Thank you for the great feedback and suggestions! I have added your request and comments to our internal tracker so our developers can consider them as they are looking into new features and improvements to add to future versions of 1Password.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#651

This discussion has been closed.