Master password fields accept non-ASCII characters?

Options
____
____
Community Member

I've noticed that all master password fields, including the main UI and the sign-in window, accepts non-ASCII characters which acts like it's in viewable (aka clear-text field) status. This would be a big issue as some input methods (e.g. Zhuyin) can be set to use Cap Lock to quick switch between IMEs instead of English uppercase. For example:

• If my password is "abcABC", in normal macOS password field, I'll type "abc" then press Cap Lock and then again "abc".
  • In 1P8's master password fields, the above input will be "abcㄇㄖㄏ" as the characters typed in after the Cap Lock will not be ASCII but Zhuyin as the IME was switched when I click the Cap Lock. In macOS's default UI, password field would kept the IME in English so this won't happen.

I noticed it right after I upgrade to 1P8, which kept saying I typed in the wrong password, which is impossible as I use a Yubikey to store and input the master password automatically, only did I found this out when I click the "view password" icon. IMO the password field should be consist with default OS ones to prevent confusion. It it's my family members they would not have the technical background to figure this out and they would be super frustrate.

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1

Comments

• Hi there! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I can see how some changes could be made here, and have passed on your report to our developers. Thank you for letting us know!

ref: dev/core/core#10078

This discussion has been closed.