"None" passwords?

Options
clarino
clarino
Community Member

When I sort by password strength, some of my manually-created logins/passwords are rated Terrible, Weak, Fair, or None. The first 3 ratings make sense but some of my logins rated "None" do have passwords. Why is 1P calling non-zero-length passwords "None"?

I have slowly been strengthening all the logins under Watchtower (see pic) and only today did I realize that logins rated None don't even show up there. Why don't "None" accounts appear in one of the Watchtower categories?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@clarino:

The first 3 ratings make sense but some of my logins rated "None" do have passwords. Why is 1P calling non-zero-length passwords "None"?

I checked inside my 1Password vaults and I could not find any item with a "None" value in it. Can you please post a screenshot? Make sure you remove any personal information from it before you upload it :+1:

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    Options

"None" is not a value. Rather, "None" is a heading that appears after clicking "... sorted by Password Strength" (found just below the search entry field). I've circled in green where the "None" heading begins and highlighted one of the accounts that appears under that heading despite having a password (partially exposed intentionally to show there is a real password).

It's not just OpenTable. More logins under that same heading also have passwords. Other logins do indeed have no passwords so "None" seems to be a good thing but buggy.

I'm using 1P 7.9.1.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@clarino:

Thank you for the additional information. Are you by chance copying and pasting these passwords after you generate them? If you do, you might be in the same scenario we discussed here on the forum, with a user in a similar situation.

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    Options

I've read the discussion you referenced and it sounds like you accept the current behavior has bugs. In particular, the original poster said:

"This is odd as I have passwords imported from Bitwarden which were definitely not created by 1Password, and all these do have proper strength ratings."

No one responded to that and the discussion was closed. (There is a subsequent post but it was not responsive to the observation I quoted.) My conclusion:

1. Passwords created outside of 1P sometimes get correctly rated and some NONE-rated. This is a bug. (If not, tell me why.)

2. "None" is a misleading term. If 1P is not rating a password, 1P should say "Not rated" or "Unrated" or something like that. "None" could still be used but only if there is no password.

3. There should be a setting (perhaps a tag) to tell 1P that the lack of a password should not cause an account to be flagged in the Password Strength and Watchtower lists. (Same thing for the other password strength levels.)

4. "Unrated" (if you follow my #2 suggestion) should appear under Watchtower. You may argue this but it's as justifiable there as under "sorted by Password Strength."

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    Options

One more observation:

1. I went back to the login (OpenTable) shown in my photo earlier, clicked Edit, clicked at the end of the existing password and pressed "x" and then clicked Save. 1P moved the account from None to Fair.

Note: I only changed the password in 1P, not OpenTable's server.

To restate in other words, I manually added one letter to the end of the password and suddenly 1P is now rating my password. This contradicts the earlier assertion that 1P only rates passwords that 1P itself generates.

Here's a pic showing the one addition "x" at the end of my password and 1P now saying: "Fair" next to the password and moving the login under the "Fair" heading.

Clearly, 1P is not behaving the way you say it does.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you again for all the feedback @clarino! I will be happy to pass it to the team for further consideration :+1:

This discussion has been closed.