Feedback on the beta

Options
J.M
J.M
Community Member

Just a little feedback after roughly a week of use.

On Windows, v8 is an improvement and is actually performing better (no UI lag like in v7 for me). Of course it has some drawbacks due to the completely different technology used, and the full rewrite. It's mostly about missing features...and bugs, it's a beta after all.

In complete disorder:

• While the main window is open, selecting a login in the vault and hitting CTRL+SHIFT+F should open and fill the selected login in your browser of choice, it does not work here however, while CTRL+O to open in a new window works. I noticed "open and fill" is not in the right click menu contrary to "open in a new window"...Could it be the cause?
  • Since the app has no option to start automatically when you start your computer, I dropped a shortcut in the startup menu (located in programdata). This works but it will completely ignore the "start minimized" possibilities offered by Windows shortcut, I'm guessing it's related to Electron
  • My native language is french so I reviewed the translation a little and found numerous inconsistencies. While it's not bad, it does look like it was translated automatically. A good example is in the password generator, the passphrase word separator can be a "period" in english. The included french translation says "périodes", a nearly transparent word except in punctuation, "period" translates to "point" in french and "période" is like your exams period, it's related to time.
  • It could be nice to have an easier access to the password generator, a keyboard shortut, a drop down menu, a button, something easier than creating a new password item
  • Categories aren't easy to access either, doesn't feel natural, maybe they could be in the left pane with tags and be vertically
    scrollable?

1Password Version: 8.4.0 (45)
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 10 21H1 (19043.1348)

Comments

• Hi, @J.M and thank you for the feedback! I'll see about addressing your comments.

• Open and fill using Ctrl + Shift + F should work, but I just tested it and it's not working for me, either. I'll make sure we have a bug report open for it.
    • 1Password should already automatically start when you log in. Does the 1Password icon appear in your system tray? This is something that you can control in the Startup tab of your Task Manager.
    • We are sorry about the translations. As soon as folks started pointing out that some of the translations have significant problems, we started doing internal reviews of them and we hope to make them better very soon. However, I will file a bug report for this specific case that you refer to.
    • For the password generator, how would you want that to work? We've built the use case around the idea that you would want to immediately save any password that you generate, and we embed that into the workflow of creating a password on account creation pages in your browser.

I'll have to delegate your comments about the categories to our designers. They may be able to tell you more about why the categories are where they are.

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Thank you for your reply @Savanni

• Glad to see it's not only me
    • It doesn't seem like it launches at startup, I'll need to check again but I didn't see any icon in the tray when Windows is booted
    • I didn't check but if your users can help with the translation on Crowdin, I'll be glad to lend a hand.
    • Maybe a good compromise would be to have a keyboard shortcut to directly create a new password item and place you in the password field with the password generator opened?

Could be good indeed to have dev input on why the categories are placed there. It's a bit awkward to use and a complete departure from the previous 1Password versions (Electron related I bet).

This discussion has been closed.