Chrome Dev (new install) on macOS doesn't integrate with 1PW 8 (unlock, edit in app etc)

Options

Awhile ago, Google changed their Chrome distribution where multiple "channels" of Chrome can be installed. Previously, you could install Chrome Dev and Chrome Canary, for example, but not Chrome Dev and Chrome Stable. For existing installs of Chrome Dev, the app name etc is just Google Chrome. However, new installs of the Dev channel are Google Chrome Dev.

They have separate stores under Application Support (~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome Dev and ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome). The new install of Chrome (stable) has the bundle ID com.google.Chrome and the bundle name Chome. This is the same as a legacy install of Chrome Dev (or any channel).

New installs of Chrome Dev have a bundle ID com.google.Chrome.dev and bundle name Chrome Dev. The Dev app also has Dev on the Google Chrome icon.

1PW 8 doesn't integrate with the Dev version and app called Google Chrome Dev. If Google Chrome Dev is installed without a legacy or new "Stable" Chrome install, 1PW still writes NativeMessagingHosts to ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome and creates the folders and path required.

Microsoft Edge rolled out something similar months before Google did with Chrome (I think), but I don't have the dates with me at the moment. (BookMacster had similar issues I reported regarding Edge Beta, but I didn't do a clean Chrome install for several months and so don't know the Chrome date). 1PW8 does fine with Edge Beta (named as such with the Edge Beta application store and writes to the appropriate NativeMessagingHosts for Microsoft Edge Beta).

This isn't new behavior, but I've been too lazy/busy to write it up.

Tl;dr 1PW8 integrates fine with Chrome Dev if Chrome Dev has been installed awhile and uses the bundle name Google Chrome. However, 1PW8 does not integrate with new installs of Google Chrome Dev with the bundle name Google Chrome Dev.

This is current with 1PW8 80400045, extension 2.1.8, Chrome Dev 97.0.4692.8, and macOS 12.0.1

I put this under the desktop app, because I think this behavior is consistent with 1PW 7, too. I have the json files under NativeMessagingHosts from 7 that haven't been modified since July and the 1PW 8 (non-version) JSON file with a recent modified date.

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: 2.1.8
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1
Referrer: forum-search:chrome dev

Comments

• Hello @ethomp , Thank you for trying out 1Password 8 and sharing your feedback!

I have checked our list of allowed browsers in 1Password 8 and it seems like Chrome Dev is not part of it at the moment. I have created an issue and will take a look at it.

Please watch for it in the upcoming releases.

Thanks for helping us making the app better and please keep the great feedback coming. :)

• Hello @ethomp , I have a good news for you!

I have added Chrome Dev to our trustworthy list, please try the upcoming releases.

Thanks for helping us making the app better. :)

This discussion has been closed.