Categories

Options
titanic1912
titanic1912
Community Member

Hello,

I see that there is a dropdown on the top of the new 1Password for Windows. How do I get all the categories to be listed on the side like the old version?

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

Sadly this is not possible. During early access phase quite a lot people were complaining about this. Agilebits answers were something like "we are listening and appreciate your feedback. The new design is much better for people with lots of vaults and accounts. We might change this in a future release." So basically a polite way to say we don't care if the sidebar is now pretty much useless for people with only a few vaults.

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, they basically closed the issue in early access by merging all the threads and saying we're listening but not really. If you check out the release blog post, you can see from the image posted that they designed it for teams/businesses with their multiple vaults coupled with personal use cause that's where the money is I guess. They really should add in an option for the rest of us.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Think about categorizing your items yourself by using tags. The default categories are not really categories but more just the type of the entry when it was originally created. You have probably 5-10 items that are not logins, and 90 login item. This is not really a good categorization. Use tags to make your own categories.
    If you ask me, the category selector can vanish completely.

• Hi @titanic1912 , we have indeed done a redesign of this. While there's currently no option to move the categories to the side panel, we do hope you'll find this new layout useful and - contrary to a few comments here - we really do take on board user feedback as we iterate on the app!

All the item-type options are still there, and you can add more fine-grained categorization using tags, as @Tertius3 mentioned. Collections is a pretty neat feature, too.

If there's anything we can do to improve your experience of the app, be sure to let us know. We act on customer feedback all the time, as the iterations over the course of our Early Access releases show. And indeed, many of the changes and improvements we've made to the app in the past few months have come from requests originating on these very forums. And we appreciate the feedback! 😄

• titanic1912
    titanic1912
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P I prefer the old layout. This is very cumbersome for me. :(

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

@PeterG_1P That’s not really a viable solution because there is no way to delete existing tags (which 1P makes up and I don’t use) or filter for items not tagged…

Also…I have 445 login items and I’m sure there are those with many more, plus those using servers, api credentials, documents…

But anyway, the team has made its feelings on putting categories back pretty clear, so, seems pretty useless to keep giving feedback on. 😕

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

Tags could be used as cumbersome workaround. But without editing options they are not a replacement.
    Reading Dave's blog post, looking at his screenshots and all the new features regarding the sidebar (including collections) it's quite clear that you shifted the focus from individual users to enterprise users.
    All explanations I've seen so far emphasize how good the change fits to users with lots of accounts and vaults. For an ordinary user with just 1-3 vaults and one account (or even a family account) the new sidebar is pretty much a waste of space.

Why not let the users decide if they prefer categories in the sidebar or vaults/accounts? Yes, I know every config option means additional testing required. But some parts of a UI simply doesn't fit every use case.

• Reading Dave's blog post, looking at his screenshots and all the new features regarding the sidebar (including collections) it's quite clear that you shifted the focus from individual users to enterprise users.

We made this change based in part on feedback from individual users.

All explanations I've seen so far emphasize how good the change fits to users with lots of accounts and vaults.

In a previous thread here, @danvpeterson covered some of the reasons for this new design:

As discussed in that post, the previous sidebar had a ton of it's own issues and was a fairly consistent source of confusion for a lot of folks ever since the release of 1Password 7. This change was our attempt to remedy that and make it simpler and easier to understand how our vaults, tags, and categories work. In most of our user testing so far it was regarded very well overall, but obviously some of you disagree and we will take that into account.

@roustem also noted here:

The sidebar in 1Password 7 has problems. It is overloaded, it does too much. There are two different states that present different information (vaults vs categories) and this is confusing, especially to new users. Even I got lost a quite a few times trying to use the sidebar.

We also do frequently correspond with individual customers who use more than just a couple vaults, and who find that method of organization useful. While we're not done iterating on this, and there might be ways the layout can be made more flexible (as you mentioned!), there was serious design thinking that went into this decision - it's not a matter of "we decided: yay corporations."

I hope this provides a useful overview of our thinking so far - and we do hope to impress you as we continue to make improvements going forward!

This discussion has been closed.