Ability to Choose which special characters in random password

Options

I know I personally have wanted this for a while. The ability to select which special characters are used in a random password. The reason I would find this useful is; not every site allows the same characters. So if I am at a site that allows $%@#! but the password starts spitting out .,*k{} etc I have to go in and change that. I know other apps allow you to do that, such as the StrongPassword app. While it does not maintain the passwords like 1Password, I sometimes find I have to go outside the 1Password app, or go through and manually change the characters.

Also thing it would be great to tweak settings like I think you use to be able to do. So lets say I have a password with the length of 20 characters. I use to be able to go in and say I want 5 special characters, and 4 numbers. Sometimes the passwords that are randomly generated (again I know random) are only upper and lower case. So having the flexibility to say I want X number of special characters and numbers would be amazing.

1Password Version: 8.5 & 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 12.0.1 & iPhone 15.1

Comments

• Hello @timsc, thank you for this request! I believe you can find much of what you've described here in 1Password in Your Browser, our browser extension app that contains a (pretty awesome, I think) password generator. Check it out:

If you don't have it already, you can find the app for your browser here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

And while this may not have the granularity to pick X number of each type of special characters, we hope that the flexibility that's already there will suit your needs nicely, and help you avoid any of those pesky password-limitation rules that some websites enforce.

Of course, if you have thoughts on how the existing design could be improved further, we'll welcome that feedback is well! 😀

• timsc
    timsc
    Community Member
    Options

Peter,

Thank you for this. Yes, I have similar capabilities using the Mac/iPhone app. In order to improve the design (just my thoughts) along side the toggle button have an arrow that expands the symbols menu. From there you can click and select which specials characters to generate the random password with.

This is a screenshot from the StrongPassword App. While it has a basic and advanced configurations. Maybe 1Password could have a pop-out menu to select something like that attached.

• Hello @timsc ! Thanks for sharing your feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password better.

While I can not promise anything, I will pass on your feedback to the design and product teams so they can decide how a feature like this fits into the product roadmap.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day! :)

This discussion has been closed.