Default Vault for New Items in V8

Options
BEAK
BEAK
Community Member

V7 allowed identifying a vault for saving all new items (e.g., new logins). I can't find this option in V8. Is this available in V8?

Comments

• Dany
    Dany
    Community Member
    Options

yes i have the same problem i need that to i just make a tiket to support!

So man things changed on V8 im not really happy

• Hi @BEAK and @Dany:

Configuring the default save vault is something we're actively exploring, and I've added both of your input to the internal feature request issue we have tracking this. Thanks for your input!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#9846

• BEAK
    BEAK
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a status update for this feature in V8?

• Hi @BEAK:

Thanks for following up. I don't have anything to share with you just yet on a timeline or status update. Thanks for your patience on this!

Jack

• tylex
    tylex
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

How it comes, that you remove such a important feature? This is an absolute dealbreaker for me and I am really considering to move away to another provider and will suggesting this to friends and family, as this is an absolute no-go.

Especially as the browser add-on still has this feature, as well as the Mac client.

I am 1Password user since many years and there were ups and downs with the windows client. But I really thought you are on a good way here and now this happens.

Maybe having an investor had a big downside at last...

I really hope you will add this feature again.

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi @tylex, we appreciate your concern. We're doing our best to provide feature improvements, bug fixes, and entirely new features at a good pace. 👍

1Password 8 is an entirely new-generation app, built from the ground up, and so there are some features that aren't present (yet) but will be. We wanted to provide a solid foundation to be able to provide a much better experience than the previous generation of apps ever could, and while in the short-term we know there is some work to do, we hope you'll stick with us. We're listening to your feedback and doing everything we can to build an app that's far and away the best around - no matter what operating system you use.

And your feedback - which we very much take into account - helps us get there!

• ConnorB
    ConnorB
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this feature, it was very nice to have in 1P 7, especially as I have work and personal 1P accounts.

• Hey @ConnorB:

Thanks for chiming in! I've shared your thoughts in the internal issue I've mentioned above. Please get in touch if there's any other ways we could make 1Password even better. 😀

Jack

• GKUser
    GKUser
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to reiterate the concerns with this issue raised by others. This is an essential feature that never should have been removed and should be added back ASAP. Thanks.

• Hi @GKUser! Thanks for your message and providing these comments. I've included this feedback for the development team.

Please let us know if you have any other concerns!

• BEAK
    BEAK
    Community Member
    Options

Any update yet? I originally asked the question back in November 2021.

• ag_mike_d
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hello @BEAK, thanks for your message - it's great to hear back from you!

I understand it's been awhile since you've first asked this question and while I don't much in the way of updates to share about this feature making it to 1Password 8, it is on our roadmap and your request along with all other customer requests for this feature are being tracked in our internal feature request.

Have a great day!

ref: IDEA-I-292

• BEAK
    BEAK
    Community Member
    Options

Good to hear it's on the roadmap for 1Password 8.

• @BEAK, It's been one of the more highly requested features we've received and will be happy to see this show up in some form in the future. 👍

• BEAK
    BEAK
    Community Member
    Options

Any update yet? I understand this has been on the roadmap since at least early July.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@BEAK I wouldn't hold my breath. Agilebits needed 10 months to bring back substring/partila words search. Some dates in the UI still ignore the system locale although this problem was reported at the beginning of the early acces phase about a year ago. If we are really lucky me might see this feature again in July 2023.

• Hello @BEAK - apologies for the delay in response over the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend.

This, along with the other issue @viswiz mentioned (improvements to certain dates matching system settings), are actively being looked into. As always, I'm not able to comment further or provide a date as to when we might see these features/fixes implemented. Please continue to keep an eye open for updates to 1Password here: 1Password Releases

We appreciate your continued patience.

• DanaBasel
    DanaBasel
    Community Member
    Options

Not being able to change the default vault is a shocking omission. I have been very pleased with 1Password; I don't want to switch, but I've done it before.

• Hello @DanaBasel,

Thanks for letting us know you are missing this feature as well. I've included your thoughts for the team by way of vote for this feature.

We understand that the ability to set a default vault for saving is important to many customers. The team is continuing to actively investigating ways to implement this feature in 1Password 8.

• XrstalLens
    XrstalLens
    Community Member
    Options

Please add my voice to the chorus of people asking for the ability to configure which vault new items are put in by default in all UIs. The lack of this feature is wreaking havoc in my family account! Passwords keep getting "lost" (saved in a private vault not visible to other family members), and as the family admin I can't even go fix it without getting each person to sit down and log me in to their private vault.

Please place this feature at the top of your priority list, even if the initial setting is simply "Allow 1Password to choose the best vault" for new items. In my case, it is absolutely essential that the default value be something I can choose for all members. No-one except for me wants to know about vaults or cares about them. They just want the passwords to be safe and visible to all other family members. Believe me, I have tried to train them on it. And they say they will remember, but they never do. Heck - half the time I forget to check it! It is simply an unnecessary extra step that in our situation no one wants to be bothered with.

I know there must be some design paradigm or principle on your side that is driving the reluctance to re-implement this feature as it was in 1PW7. However, I would like to kindly point out that whatever it is, it is failing to account for the usage patterns of quite a few 1PW users, as evidenced by the feedback, and also underestimating the impact it's having on those users.

I beg the development and design teams to please be open to the idea that they have made a grave error in how they have thought about this problem, and that they need to go back to the drawing board on their approach. And then make it a top priority to get this feature in before we go crazy or jump ship to a competitor.

And just to clarify - even 1PW7 wasn't quite sufficient for me on this feature. I had to individually set up each user and set the default vault for them. What we really need is an account-wide setting I can configure for all users, but that can be overridden by individual users both permanently (via the settings menu) or each time they create an item.

Thanks.

• ag_mike_d
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hello @XrstalLens,

We appreciate this feedback and the suggestions. We're happy to to continue to advocate for customers and as requested, I've included your thoughts and suggestions for the product team in the request we're tracking. Many thanks for your patience!

• XrstalLens
    XrstalLens
    Community Member
    Options

I just discovered that this feature has been added to v8.9.10 (Windows). Thank you!!! This will be a game changer!

• BEAK
    BEAK
    Community Member
    Options

It's great this feature has been added in v8.9.10 (Windows)!

• ag_mike_d
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hello folks,

Thanks for your feedback about this feature making it's return to 1Password 8. This has been one of the more highly requested features and we're glad to see it make it into Production. 😀

This discussion has been closed.