1Password keeps blocking TextExpander [Secure Input]

Options
leicaman
leicaman
Community Member

TextExpander is one of those critical applications I use on my Mac (and iOS Devices) as important to me as 1Password, DefaultFolder, and a handful of others. What's driving me crazy is 1PassWord keeps blocking TextExpander and doesn't unblock it when it doesn't need to. I can understand why 1Password itself might not like applications snooping its text fields. I'm okay with that. But when it blocks TextExpander system-wide and then doesn't release it so that I can now no longer use TextExpander until I close 1Password and wait a few minutes, that's not acceptable. You need to fix this. I'm using the current Beta of 1Password 8.

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: 12.0.1

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @leicaman

I'm sorry for the trouble with Secure Input. Are you able to identify the circumstances where this occurs? For example — when it happens, is the 1Password window open? Is your cursor in the account password field, or is 1Password unlocked? If you close the 1Password window ( ⌘W ) is Secure Input released?

Please let me know what you're able to find. Thanks!

Ben

• leicaman
    leicaman
    Community Member
    Options

I just tested it, and I had just launched TextExpander. And then I followed up with launching 1Password and it immediately blocked TextExpander. But this time, when I closed the window, it released TextExpander. Yesterday it wasn't releasing it.

So I quite 1Password and then relaunched it and now it isn't blocking it. I'll keep and eye on it over the next few days. TextExpander had a few hard crashes yesterday, but seems to be working again properly. So maybe it was something else going on?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Eric

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@leicaman:

So I quite 1Password and then relaunched it and now it isn't blocking it. I'll keep and eye on it over the next few days.

Sounds good! Let us know if you find something out :)

• daveother
    daveother
    Community Member
    Options

I just started running the 1Password 8 betas on macOS 12.2 to see if I wanted to stick with 1Password (I'm not a fan of Electron apps so seeing how it works and how much memory it uses compared to version 7). I now regularly have TextExpander not work and it seems to be 1Password's fault (although TextExpander can't always tell which process it is), If I quit 1Password, TextExpander works. It happens often (but not always) even if 1Password is running but not the app I'm currently using.

• Ben
    Options

Hey @daveother

I'm also a TextExpander user, but I haven't been seeing this. Fortunately, I think, a couple of my colleagues have. Hopefully that means we'll be able to track this down and fix it. Thanks for the report!

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#12760

• daveother
    daveother
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 7 seems to allow TextExpander to work in 1Password except when unlocking or in the password fields (i.e., TextExpander works in the search field). Version 8 doesn't seem to let TextExpander work any time. That's not a big deal, but I wonder if it's related to why TextExpander won't work at all most times when 1Password Version 8 is running.

Version 8 also seems less reliable in Safari - sometimes takes a couple clicks on the 1Password icon or a couple tries of keyboard shortcut. If I can reproduce that reliably, I'll start a separate thread. It's still beta so I'll withhold judgment until final version, but right now I'm nervous it's going to be a regression for me.

• daveother
    daveother
    Community Member
    Options

An to clarify, what I meant by:

Version 8 doesn't seem to let TextExpander work any time. That's not a big deal, but I wonder if it's related to why TextExpander won't work at all most times when 1Password Version 8 is running.

TextExpander doesn't work in 1Password search field or anywhere - that's not a big deal. But to need to quit 1Password often to make TextExpander work is a major hassle.

• Hi @daveother, thanks for your reporting here. We've been able to replicate it and will look into how this situation can be improved. Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you saw on your system. 🙏

Oh, and just to let you know:

Version 8 also seems less reliable in Safari - sometimes takes a couple clicks on the 1Password icon or a couple tries of keyboard shortcut.

We have verified that this is a separate issue, which we're following up on as well. And we'll keep the improvements coming!

ref: dev/core/core#8209

• daveother
    daveother
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for following up. I’m glad you can replicate them and hope you can fix them.

• colep
    colep
    Community Member
    Options

I use the app "Contexts" to replace my alt-tab menu with something a little more useful, which requires Secure Input to be off to work. As such, any time an app improperly keeps secure input on after I'm done with whatever I'm doing is very noticeable.

1Password 8 beta probably quits secure input when I defocus the window about 90% of the time. The rest of the time, secure input remains on even after I've moved away from the 1password app (still open) and requires my killing the app to turn off.

Unfortunately I do not have a consistent reproduction.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @colep

We've identified some cases where Secure Input is held for longer than necessary/appropriate, and I'm hopeful the engineering team will be able to find solutions to those issues. 🙏🏻 Thanks for taking the time to write in about it.

Ben

• leonmorrison
    leonmorrison
    Community Member
    Options

I just wanted to confirm what DAVEOTHER is saying. I love both 1Password and TextExpander but they don't play well together. I open 1Password when I need it but then have to quit it in order to use TextExpander. Very frustrating... Did not happen with Version 7.

• Ben
    Options

Did not happen with Version 7.

Oh it definitely did. 😬 But perhaps not under the same circumstances as are occurring with 1Password 8. We're looking into it. 👀

Ben

• pcryanBC
    pcryanBC
    Community Member
    Options

I am using 1P8, and textexpander is blocked every launch. Multiple closes and opens are required to clear it. A real bore this.

This discussion has been closed.