Something recently changed behavior in Firefox

Options
BesieDai
BesieDai
Community Member
edited November 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Very recently (perhaps from 1Password version 7.9 to 7.9.1, but I can't be sure), something changed in the Firefox extension or desktop app so that ⌘+\ will no longer do anything if the vault is locked. Previously that would bring up the 1Pass window in the corner of the screen for me to enter my password, and then I would see the choices for that website. Now though, if the vault is locked I need to first press ⌘+, unlock the vault, then ⌘+\ will bring up the window of password suggestions or auto-fill it.

In my desktop app, the "Fill Login or Show Password" shortcut is still set to ⌘+. When the vault is unlocked, the behavior is nearly the same as it was a month ago. In the Firefox extension, the "Open with shortcut" key is Command+Period, and it cannot be changed to ⌘+.

Finally, I noticed recently that I have two browser extension icons now.

The colored one brings up the browser extension, and the other seems to relate back to the desktop app. Perhaps it's the collision of these two that is preventing ⌘+\ from doing its job?

Note: I am experiencing this on both of my Macs, running High Sierra and Big Sur. Although I use Firefox primarily, I just checked Chrome and its keyboard shortcut is Shift+⌘+L ... which also does not do anything if the vault is locked, making it even worse than my Firefox situation.

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• BesieDai
    BesieDai
    Community Member
    Options

Clarification: just realized in the first paragraph I accidentally used an HTML tag.

When the vault is locked I need to first press ⌘+. (period) per the browser extension's shortcut, unlock the vault, then ⌘+\ will bring up suggestions or auto-fill per the desktop app's shortcut.

• BesieDai
    BesieDai
    Community Member
    Options

The difference between the two extensions I have going is that one "requires the desktop app" and belongs to AgileBits, and the other does not mention that requirement and is from 1Password. The one I am keeping enabled for now, which produces the desired behavior, is the former:

I'm not a fan of foregoing updates when a newer one is available (the 1Password extension was much more recent), but the keyboard shortcuts are not an insignificant part of the experience so I'm opting for the AgileBits extension. Is this a mistake? I don't know what the relationship is between AgileBits and 1Password right now.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @BesieDai ,

Indeed, we currently offer two different extensions as you've found. The older extension is directly tied with the desktop app and will ask you to unlock when you press CMD+\ .

The newer extension will not respond to 1Password 7 if it is locked. However, with 1Password 8, things will work as you expect them with the new extension. 1Password 8 for Mac is still in beta but you can definitely enjoy it right now if you'd like: https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1PasswordBeta.zip

Alternatively, you can keep using the old classic extension until 1Password 8 is officially released :)

• BesieDai
    BesieDai
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_yaron! Very enlightening.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad I could help :)

This discussion has been closed.