1Password chrome extension keeps getting locked because an update is available

Options
13»

Comments

• I'm so sorry I missed your last message @laffingleigh, did you get a response over email from the team?

The Support ID number should look something like: #ABC-12345-321

• laffingleigh
    laffingleigh
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles Yes, I got many responses, but most of them hadn’t read through this email chain. I finally had someone read through the email chain and really seemed to understand. We left off with the notion that this is indeed a problem and there is currently no solution. Bummer.

I do not see any support ID number in any of the emails.

• garlicbreadhurricane
    Options

Can this please be fixed (at least in the short term) by letting us disable code signature validation for selected browsers? We finally have the ability to select trusted browsers, so this really isn't a huge leap.

I might try disabling chrome-auto updates because this behavior is so frustrating.

• yesthatallen
    yesthatallen
    Community Member
    Options

Hey 1Password.. Chrome has moved to weekly updates:

https://security.googleblog.com/2023/08/an-update-on-chrome-security-updates.html

and I'm at wits end with 1Password failing.

I certainly can't try to get my family to start using our teams account when the passwords which were "just there" in their chrome profile don't go missing.

I never have cared what security benefit there is from having the extension validate the browser.. now that the browser is pretty much always considered invalid, we really need a better workflow here.

• langabi
    langabi
    Community Member
    Options

YES! This is my one and only deep, deep frustration with 1password. Restarting Chrome is not a trivial exercise, it's equivalent to restart my entire computer (as most of my work is browser-based). I can't even do it while in meetings, because our meetings are also browser-based. It basically makes 1password incredibly painful to use, for several hours/days each time, every 1-2 weeks. This is a UX disaster!

And the only reason I cannot, in good conscience, recommend 1password to my colleages.

• keflavich
    keflavich
    Community Member
    Options

I made an account on these fora just to :+1: this. There are plenty of times I don't have the bandwidth to reload every tab on chrome and can't restart it, so 1pass becomes unusable.

Are there any useful workarounds? Does disabling chrome auto-updates work?

• cgir
    cgir
    Community Member
    Options

Adding to this thread. I read the thread and understand what causes this, but its really annoying and +1'ing my feedback for a fix or change. Not a great experience. Thank you

• MirekBurkon
    MirekBurkon
    Community Member
    Options

This thread only (and there are many more) started in Nov 2021. So I just cancelled my subscription because of this long frustration. Been using 1Pass for over 10 years, good job team

• MasterMagic
    MasterMagic
    Community Member
    Options

+1 here as well. It's so frustrating with the pace that Chrome issues updates.

• sram
    sram
    Community Member
    Options

It's not even the end of October and so far this month we've had 118.0.5993.96, 118.0.5993.88, 118.0.5993.70, 117.0.5938.149 and yesterday 118.0.5993.117. I can see why you would want to ensure that Chrome is up to date to allow 1Password to unlock, but please consider introducing some kind of grace period such as that within Chrome itself where the status in the top right hand corner goes green to gently let you know that there's an update available, followed by orange if you ignore it for a day or two until finally becoming red and angry.
    As others have already said in this thread, restarting the whole browser just to get 1Password to integrate properly is not a viable option in this day and age. For a lot of us, the browser is where we spend 99% of our working computer time and as silly as it sounds, restarting the browser usually results in a break in productivity and flow.

• randy_g
    randy_g
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

[Edit: I went down into Chrome settings, did in fact find an update, and the problem seems to have gone away, but without that effort, I was not able to see that Chrome had an update available, so maybe a Chrome bug?]

I've been getting this message for a couple of days, and the 1Password extension for Chrome asks me for a password every time I try to use it, but I don't see any indication that Chrome actually does have an update available. I've restarted it (and rebooted) multiple times. I'm now on version 118.0.5993.88 of Chrome (arm64), and MacOS 14.0 (Sonoma). Super annoying (or I wouldn't be bothering to post this).

• sram
    sram
    Community Member
    Options

Finishing off October's round of updates is 119.0.6045.105, released 31 October. So we've had to quit and relaunch Chrome more than once a week just to use 1Password.
    I find it frustrating that the 1Password extension refuses to auto-unlock when the desktop app is unlocked, yet it will quite happily accept your master password in order to unlock - Is this policy to increase security or not?

• josiahlyoung
    josiahlyoung
    Community Member
    Options

I also created an account in this forum just so I could add a +1. The constant locking in Chrome due to the weekly Chrome updates is my only frustration with using 1Password.

• Tundor
    Tundor
    Community Member
    Options

Same for me, this is killing my work productivity. 90% of my work is browser based and this week I already had to restart 3 times because of chrome updates.

• elbel9283
    elbel9283
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Chiming in here – this is a super annoying behavior that basically makes the 1pass browser extension useless. In the moment when I realize that 1p has locked itself out I am in the process of filling out a password field. This is usually during the workday and I'm already at risk of my concentration breaking because of the authentication disruption. having to restart my browser (in the middle of a login process, LOL that's going to play nicely with session management) is disruptive, having to break and type in the sentence-long passphrase (even when the main 1PW app is sitting unlocked on my desktop!) is disruptive. I have 3 different work-related chrome profiles (consultant; client; client) plus 2 personal ones (important stuff, social media / news) that I use, and having to go through this on each is really tedious.

I don't understand exactly what security issue this is supposed to prevent or solve but the net behavior is incredibly annoying. I rarely have to type in my password for the desktop app given touchID on my mac and FaceID on my iphone. As others have pointed out, Chrome seems to update at least once a week these days, and 1password freaks out even before Chrome starts nagging me.

• jbx
    jbx
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

I signed up just to let the team know that this will probably drive a lot of users into the arms of Apple and the iCloud Keychain. I already considered that. For now I'm using Safari, which doesn't update that often and integrates better.

[Removed profanity, please remember that this is a family friendly community. -Moderator]

• mcg
    mcg
    Community Member
    Options

Adding my voice to the chorus here. I dread seeing these update notices :-( and would very much appreciate if 1password would find a solution.

• mcg
    mcg
    Community Member
    Options

OMYGOODNESS IT'S CHRISTMAS

The 1Password browser extension in Chrome will now maintain a connection with the 1Password app even when a Chrome update is pending.

• @mcg, that's right!

Here is some more information on the improvements we have been making to 1Password in the browser: Usability Digest Dec. 2023: Improved autofill reliability, lock state, and item title generation — 1Password Community

• ObjectConsulting
    ObjectConsulting
    Community Member
    Options

OMG YES.

• @ObjectConsulting

I'm happy to see your enthusiasm for the new update, our development team took everyone's feedback to heart and worked hard to get this right. 💙

-Dave

• ObjectConsulting
    ObjectConsulting
    Community Member
    Options

Is this OG Dave from 1Password fame?!

if so: wow blessed.
    if not: yes! to all dave's!

also shout out to the great explanation (attached): good demystification

• javobal
    javobal
    Community Member
    Options

say thanks to the team :D , this was really messing up the experience

• jbx
    jbx
    Community Member
    Options

This is fantastic, great job team!

• @ObjectConsulting

I'm that latter, "yes! to all dave's!", option. Just another Dave who also works at 1Password. Thank you for the kind words regarding the update announcements, I'll pass them along to the team. 😊

@javobal and @jbx

Thank you for the patience and feedback, I'm happy that the new behaviour helps.

-Dave