Why does the Primary vault show up even if you don't migrate old data?

ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

When I upgraded from a standalone license to a Family membership, I "copied my old data" over (migrated). It left the "Primary" vault in my 1Passoword application. To be expected I suppose. Today, I invited my wife to join the family account and when we upgraded her, there was no need to copy any of her data, since we shared that data in Dropbox, and I already migrated it and set up shared vaults with that data. So for the question "copy your existing data" we answered "later". To my surprise, I see that she also has a "Primary" vault in her 1password app. I did notice that she doesn't get the same "Duplicate password" warnings, so it looks like the Primary vault is there, but nothing in it was migrated. Why is this happening? We plan to continue using the Dropbox data on another old computer, so I need it around for a while, but I don't need it anymore on my wife's devices or mine. I haven't been able to find any docs on how this works. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6

Comments

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

I would still be interested in an answer to this, but it isn't an issue for me anymore since I've deleted the Primary vault from all my devices.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

A Primary vault is a mandatory vault in the 1Password app anytime you use standalone vaults. It's like the Personal vault in a 1Password.com account. It cannot be removed if you have other standalone vaults in the app (like the one you are sharing in Dropbox).

This discussion has been closed.