What is the point of the macOS menu bar item?

Options

Now that mini has been stripped out, its just a pointless launcher, and quick access is an extremely poor replacement.
Here was my process for logging in to the mac desktop Amazon Prime Video app:
1. Click the menu bar item
2. Click open quick assist
3. Start typing "amazon"
4. Click the "more" three buttons icon to the right. Why aren't the shortcuts at the bottom clickable to copy? Why isn't the 2FA shortcut shown?
5. Select copy username
6. Paste user name in app field
7-12 Repeat for password
13-18 Repeat for 2FA

Awful experience. And even if I became comfortable with the shortcuts, it's still a ridiculous process.
At least mini did not have to be selected from a list first and the selection would be sticky. It looks like the selection is sticky if quick access is summoned through the shortcut but not through the menu bar item. Why does this work differently?

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1

Comments

• oceansoffun
    oceansoffun
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed, this is a poor experience. Not everything happens in a browser! There are also valid reasons for using browsers without the plugin.

There are cases where sites require more than username/password/MFA (for example, AWS requires the Account Id for non-root users before displaying the email/password form) but Quick Access doesn't allow quick access to these items...I have to click through multiple levels which ultimately requires me to open the full desktop app...might as well use spotlight and forget all about the menu bar at that point.

Quick Access should show the full record without requiring any other clicks or keyboard shortcuts. It should mirror exactly what the browser extension does. That would make it actually "quick" ;)

This discussion has been closed.