New Item type "lock" or "pin"

raphaelcp
raphaelcp
Community Member
edited November 2021 in Lounge

Hello,

When it comes to save padlock PINs, or any other PIN, 1Password Watchtower will report the password as weak. Although this is accurate, there is nothing more that one can do, that's the max security you get with a 3-4 PIN padlocks. It would have been great to either have Padlock items or a tag "padlock" to inform 1P that the item can't have a stronger password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @raphaelcp

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. It isn't an unknown use case. The difficulty is that we do want to warn people when they've chosen a truly weak password. At present one way around this would be to add the PIN to a custom text field, as these fields are not checked by Watchtower. The downside would be the field is not concealed. I'll add your voice to the requests for improvement here.

Ben

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#130

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member

Add me too. I was directed to this discussion by ag_ana who suggested using Membership category and storing the combination in the PIN field. However that still leaves 1P complaining. Specifically. when I sort by Password Strength, the entry appears first, under the None heading. That seems inappropriate since the Membership template doesn't even have a password field to begin with.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@clarino:

Add me too

Done :+1:

• kevinf
    kevinf
    Community Member

Please add me too. A variation of this use case is where an app has a quick login facility which uses a PIN (e.g. the digidentity.eu app which is used by the UK Government's digital identity scheme 'Gov.uk Verify'). It would be good to have an item type of 'PIN' which conceals the text but isn't subject to password strength checking.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2021

Please add me too.

Done too @kevinf :+1:

• Sawyersmith
    Sawyersmith
    Community Member

Another vote for this. I have two pin codes related to my bank cards, I'd like them both to be concealed.

• Hey @Sawyersmith:

I've added your input to the above issue, but depending on if this is a bank card you store in 1Password itself, would storing the PINs in the item work for you? For example:

Let me know if that helps, or if these cards don't really make sense to be stored in 1Password.

Jack

• Sawyersmith
    Sawyersmith
    Community Member

Yes, I think this is what I'm currently doing - I added the second pin code by adding an additional password field to the bank card item... but the additional field is flagged as a "terrible" password (which it would be, but it is a pin code!), while the normal pin is not (suggesting that this is some kind of hidden field type?).

However, I noticed that this second pin does not show up in watchtower as an issue. So, I guess I can just live with the 'terrible' reminder!

• Thanks @Sawyersmith. We appreciate the input on this. Jack and I have shared the feedback with the team. Hopefully they'll be able to come up with a better solution here.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.