PayPal autofill one-time password with hotkey

Options
Zuano
Zuano
Community Member
edited November 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Why is it possible to use the one-time password via command key + hash key (+#) on some websites but not on PayPal.com?

How can I set it to be filled in using a key combination?

greetings,

Christian

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: 7.9.1
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Zuano ,

1Password should work with the same shortcut on all websites. If it doesn't work on a specific website there might be a problem with that website that we need to investigate.
    Furthermore, if you autofill your username and password, it should automatically fill the one-time code for you without having to press the shortcut again.

Can you please answer the following:

• What are the exact steps you take to reach the problematic field on Paypal's website? Is this just the main login page on paypal.com? Or are you trying to perform a certain unique action that requires you to enter only the one-time code without the username and password?
    • Are you using the English version of Paypal or is it shown in a different language?
  • Zuano
    Zuano
    Community Member
    Options

I have now been able to isolate the cause.

Actual situation:
    I have my PayPal main account password stored in iCloud and 1Password.
    I also have two other PayPal accounts stored in 1Password.

Until now, I had let Apple fill in the main account password and then wanted to use the key combination to fill in the one-time password.
    1Password did not recognise which of the three passwords it was.

This time I proceeded differently.
    Even though iCloud suggests the password, I still press the key combination.
    Then I have to select the correct one of the 3 saved accounts in 1Password and click on "Auto-complete".

In the next step, the one-time password was now filled in correctly.

I know you can have the iCloud button overlay with the 1Password button, however I prefer to have my most important passwords stored twice. In iCloud and in 1Password.

• Hey @Zuano:

Thanks for isolating the cause of this. Because of the way 1Password in the browser works, if it isn't used for filling in the username and password, there's no way for it to know which one-time password from your 3 PayPal accounts matches with the information that was filled.

Because of this limitation, we'd recommend using 1Password as your primary method of storing and filling passwords.

Hope that helps!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.