How do I drag and drop an app on to 1Password to create a new software license entry?

Options

I tried to drag and drop an app on to 1Password to create a new software license entry but got this error:

After that, the "New Item" button stopped working. I had to restart 1Password in order to re-enable it.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.5.0 80500017, on BETA channel
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1 (21A559)

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hey Chris!

How do I drag and drop an app on to 1Password to create a new software license entry?

We don't have a feature that does that in 1Password 8, but I've filed a feature request to that effect. :) Thanks!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#1080

After that, the "New Item" button stopped working. I had to restart 1Password in order to re-enable it.

That bit sounds like a bug, but I wasn't able to reproduce it on the latest nightly, so it seems we may've already fixed that issue. If it persists please let me know. :+1:

Ben

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member
    Options

Try dragging an Application on to the 1Password Application window instead. The UI becomes unclickable!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks Chris. Could you please try the latest nightly build? I tried as you show in your recording and cannot reproduce the issue there.

Ben

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, where can I find the nightly builds?

• Hey @Chris Messina:

To switch release channels, open and unlock 1Password then choose 1Password > Preferences, then select Advanced > Release Channel and select "NIGHTLY". After changing to the nightly channel, select About in Preferences, then Check for Updates to install the latest nightly build.

Let us know if that fixes it for you!

Jack

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

Ah ha! Got it, thanks. Expected to see this option under "About", where "Check for Updates" lives.

@Ben — I can confirm that the nightly build fixes the drag-and-drop-an-app issue! Thanks!

• Hey @Chris Messina:

Glad to hear that worked for you! Don't hesitate to get in touch if you need anything further!

Jack

• rufo
    rufo
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to add a quick vote for the "drag to add software license" feature, I used it whenever I acquired a new software license in previous versions to quickly add a new version to 1Password.

• Hey @rufo:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I've added your feedback internally as well.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-464

• SFO
    SFO
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to say this is a feature I'm greatly missing with 1Password 8. So many downgrades with the move to 8 - inconsistent alternative browser support on MacOS, losing drag and drop, I'm just glad you added command delete so at least deleting stuff is only two steps rather than the myriad of steps that you added when "archive" became the default behaviour.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

Omitting drag and drop support in many areas feels like the ui/ux designers actually never used any of the previous macOS 1Password versions.

Edit: added missing designers after ui…

• @viswiz

There are a few of us who have used 1Password back to version 2. Don't worry, we'll keep advocating on your, err all of our behalf's.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy thank you👍

• PeterG_1P
    edited July 2022
    Options

Always happy to improve things for you, @viswiz - and I've just added a vote on your behalf for this specific issue.

• sylvaticus
    sylvaticus
    Community Member
    Options

Please add my vote. I'm adding several new programs and now it's a very manual process. 😢

• Thank you @sylvaticus. I've added your vote and appreciate you letting us know how this affects your workflow.

• efrancis76
    efrancis76
    Community Member
    Options

I've been using 1Password since version 3—buying every update when it was released and now I have a subscription. However with all those new versions I'm very frustrated to observe that the application is losing more and more useful features.

For instance, in the past it was possible to drag an application into the 1Password window to add an entry for a software license and the page would open automatically after dropping the application in order to fill it in.

Then in version 5 it was still possible to drag the application into 1Password, but the new entry would no longer open automatically and you each time had to search for it before being able to edit it. I felt this was a serious degradation of the user experience, since it is obvious a user wants to add a serial number after dragging an app to the password manager.

Now I've tried to do the same again in 1Password 8.9.8 and I notice that now it's no longer possible at all to drag an application to 1Password. There is only error message informing me that I dropped a type of file that 1Password can't handle.

It is incomprehensible to me, why a company decides to degrade their application, by actively removing established functionality that was really useful and made the application easy to use. If this trend continues I guess I will have to look for a new password manager in the future …

1Password Version: 8.9.8
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 12.6
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• @efancis76

Please see the discussion above your message. I merged your topic and I have added you to our feature request.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

For the record, I miss being able to drag and drop apps to create new entries as well… I REALLY miss it…

Corentin

• MattI1P
    edited December 2022
    Options

Thank you @cortig we appreciate you letting us know that this feature is useful to you. We have added a vote on your behalf.

This discussion has been closed.