To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Created new 1Password Account, have Secret Key but have 2FA issue

tginther
tginther
Community Member

Hi,

On Saturday, I signed up for a 1Password account, created a shared vault and 2 private vaults on my account and 1 private vault on my wife's account. I set up 2FA, adding a section in the 1Password Login, generated my 2FA, logged in and everything was working fine on both my Mac, my iPhone and my wife's iPhone.

This morning, 1Password is asking me to log into my 1Password account, and when I go to the 1Password login, the 2FA Section I created isn't there for some reason, so I don't have a 2FA code to log in. Is there any way to reset my account only using the secret key?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

@tginther The Secret Key and 2FA are completely separate. The Secret Key is used to encrypt your database and for authentication, whereas the 2FA is just used authentication.
    You should only get asked for your 2FA code once per device/browser combination, unless you have set your browser to delete cookies. As it is only required when accessing 1Password for the first time on new device, it is not recommended to save your 2FA inside 1Password. Best practice is to use a separate authenticator app and/or YubiKey.
    However, all the 1Password apps allow you to turn-off two factor authentication. In the iPhone app go to Settings->Accounts->[Account Name]

• tginther
    tginther
    Community Member

So I had set everything up on a new Windows machine my employer sent me last week. Apparently I hadn't synched my 1Password account to my iPhone and Mac once I set everything up on the Windows machine. Not sure why it didn't sync... I just logged into the Windows machine, went into 1Password, and my 1Password accounts with the 2FA code was there. I was able to use that code to log into my 1Password account on my Mac and on my iPhone, so everything seems to be fine now.

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @tginther, that is good to hear! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.