1 Password instance master password

Options
avit
avit
Community Member

I am moving to a new Mac and getting 1Password set up.

On my old computer I have 1Password 7.8.7
On my new computer I just installed 7.9.1

I have two cloud accounts (business and personal), and each of these has its own strong master password.

In addition to the 2 account passwords, on my old computer I was able to set a more friendly "master password" to unlock both accounts for that installation.

I can't see this option on the new computer. Has this setting moved elsewhere?

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@avit:

In addition to the 2 account passwords, on my old computer I was able to set a more friendly "master password" to unlock both accounts for that installation.

Do you perhaps have a local Primary vault on your old computer?

The reason I ask is because the way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

If you are using a 1Password membership we generally recommend removing the Primary vault.

• avit
    avit
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that info, it was very helpful!

I haven't yet moved any of my files over from the old computer so I think it makes sense because the Primary local vault exists there and shows up as "on iCloud". (I've been using 1Password since 2010, so well before any memberships existed.)

I think I would like to add this option back, if only to allow setting the "one password" I want for unlocking both accounts.

I was able to re-enable it with the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" option in advanced preferences.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@avit:

I was able to re-enable it with the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" option in advanced preferences.

That would indeed be it :)

This discussion has been closed.