Why do I have to keep typing in my master password?

mforce_2000
mforce_2000
Community Member

My PC is located in a secure locked room. In Settings ==> Security I have chosen the following options:
(unchecked) Lock 1Password when computer locks
Lock after the system is idle for never
I use several browsers and I am constantly being asked to unlock 1P with my master password. This is a new behavior, I did not have to unlock 1P like this before. Has something changed?

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• PolarSuns
    PolarSuns
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

Came here to ask the same question, I'm having the exact same issue.

This is only a problem with the new version, on which I have two computers. The third computer is still on the older version of 1Pass and is behaving appropriately, and not asking for the password constantly.

• Hi @mforce_2000 and @PolarSuns:

Thanks for asking! Just to confirm, is this 1Password for Windows requiring you both to enter in your account password, or 1Password in the browser? If it's 1Password in the browser prompting for your password, it sounds like the connection between your browser and 1Password for Windows may have been interrupted somehow. To reset the connection, fully quit both 1Password for Windows, and all of your browsers, then relaunch both your browser(s) and 1Password for Windows. Let me know how that goes!

Jack

• mforce_2000
    mforce_2000
    Community Member

This is !p for windows. I have re-booted my PC. I am thinking that would count as fully quitting 1P and the browsers. After the re-boot, I opened the 1P app and entered my master password. After opening the browsers, each browser is asking for the master password. I will check after several hours if I am still required to enter the master password in the browsers.

• @mforce_2000 thanks for the update - it does sound like a potential browser integration issue. If it persists, feel free to send us a short email with a link to this thread at support+windows@1Password.com. We'll be happy to start an investigation for you!

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

I have a little bit different question related to the master password. I have three different accounts connected to my 1Password (two personal accounts and one account for teams). In 4 from 5 attempts when I enter the master password, the two personal accounts unlock automatically, but the account for teams keeps locked. Then I have to enter the password of the locked account to reach the stored items. This behaviour is new for 1Password 8 for Windows, the previous version and iOS mobile version works as expected, all connected accounts are unlocked by the master password automatically.

• PolarSuns
    PolarSuns
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

In my case, I'm an idiot. In the course of looking at my settings to write this reply, I didn't notice before that there is a "Never" selection on Settings> Security> "Lock after the system is idle for-". I adjusted that yesterday and now both of those computers have stayed unlocked.

• Hi @oksoftware:

Thanks for asking about this. The short version is that 1Password 8 now unlocks only the accounts that share an account password, rather than the first account to be added unlocking all accounts. We generally recommend using the same account password across any 1Password accounts you may have.

Jeffrey, our Principal Security Architect, and Roustem, one of our founders, elaborate a little bit more on why this changed in 1Password 8 here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/608291/#Comment_608291

Glad to hear you got it sorted @PolarSuns! :smile:

Jack

This discussion has been closed.