On a PC, how do I change a vault name? It's not under "Edit Details,"

Options
oghk2000
oghk2000
Community Member
edited November 2021 in Families

On a PC. I looked in help and it says to go to the vault and use "Edit Details." In "Edit Details" I don't see where to edit the name.
Windows 10.
I can't find where the 1Password version number is hidden. And have no idea what the 1Password Extension Version is.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10
Referrer: forum-search:pc change vault name

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @oghk2000

You can change the name of a vault by signing into the 1Password web app at https://start.1password.com/, clicking the gear icon under the vault in question, and then clicking the edit details button. I recorded a quick video showing the process:

https://bucket.agilebits.com/ben/20211130fc5LDoK2.mp4

I hope that helps!

Ben

• oghk2000
    oghk2000
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,
    Thank you so much for the video.
    Maybe we have different 1Password versions. I can't get to a screen that looks like the first one in your video.
    Attached are screen shots of the home page and the vault screen
    Where do I have to go to get the 1Password version number?
    I'm using Google Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10.

Thank you.
    Phil Brown

• Ben
    Options

@oghk2000

It isn't a version issue. You're using the web app in your screenshots, which means you're using the same version as everyone else. :) Please try clicking on the gear icon below the vault to be renamed. Note that not all vaults (e.g. "Private") can be renamed.

Ben

• oghk2000
    oghk2000
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,
    Thank you so much for the video.
    Maybe we have different 1Password versions. I can't get to a screen that looks like the first one in your video.
    I took screen shots of my home screen and the vaults page and I can't attach them to this message. I see the picture icon on the toolbar, but don't get a dropdown menu. I do for the other icons, emoji, url, but not pictures.
    Where do I have to go to get the 1Password version number?
    I'm using Google Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10.

Thank you.
    Phil Brown

• oghk2000
    oghk2000
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,
    Aha! That's the missing piece of information; I _can't _edit the name of "Private."
    Should I create a different vault for my own passwords? I made a separate vault for my wife. And I made one for websites we both access.
    What is the "Private" one for?
    Are there tutorials you can recommend that will tell me details like this? The ones I've seen so far on YouTube only tell pretty obvious stuff. Like they told me how to change the vault name, but not that the "Private" vault could not be edited.
    Thank you so much for your patience and help.
    Phil Brown

• Hey @oghk2000:

Your Private vault would be for items that only belong to you, so you can store your own passwords in that vault. The default Shared vault is accessible to everyone. Additionally, each individual has their own Private vault, so your wife has her own Private vault when she signs in to her 1Password account using her email address, Secret Key, and account password. Given that, you may not need to create a separate vault for your wife's passwords.

If for example you were sharing a 1Password family account with your wife as well as adult children, there may be items that you want to share with your wife, but not your children. In that case, creating a separate vault for just your wife and yourself for those items, and then sharing with only yourself and your wife would prevent your children from seeing those items.

Hope that helps clear it up!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.