All my one time password is wrong in 1Password 8 running on Windows 11

sttseng
sttseng
Community Member

I recently build a new machine and is running Windows 11 with 1Password 8. Any website I log in have the wrong one-time password. They generated 6 digit numbers are all different from my other devices. This is quite concerning.

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: 80401002
OS Version: Windows 11 Home Version 21H2
Referrer: forum-search:onetime password is wrong in windows 11 machine

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@sttseng This is usually caused by the time being incorrectly set on your PC. Right click on the clock, select Adjust date/time, click Sync now and check time zone.

• sttseng
    sttseng
    Community Member

@rootzero ah. that worked. Thanks for that.
    QQ though: I noticed the 2fa is off even when I logged into the vault from a browser. Is the browser also using device time?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

@sttseng Yes, the passcode generator hashes the local device time with the TOTP secret to generate the 6 digit passcodes. If it asked the internet for the time then this could be manipulated by attackers to generate codes that they could use at a later time.

• Glad to hear you got it sorted @sttseng. (thanks to @rootzero for the assist :chuffed:) If you need anything in the future, don't hesitate to get in touch!

• GoldenMustache
    GoldenMustache
    Community Member

I am having the same issue but the clock doesn't seem to be the problem. My one time passwords off of 1Password 8 on Windows aren't working, I have to open my phone and use the one time password from the ios app in order to login (the 6 digits between 1password on ios and windows don't match).

My time zone settings in windows are correct. Any other ideas?

• GoldenMustache
    GoldenMustache
    Community Member

Disregard my last post. It was a clock issue. My time was correct but somehow selecting set timezone automatically and then sync now fixed it for me.

• Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted out @GoldenMustache :smile:

Feel free to get in touch again if you've got further questions!

This discussion has been closed.