Problems with the Firefox extension

Options

I just got myself a new MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon, and I started setting it up. One issue I ran into is that the web extension in the Firefox extension store seem to be some sort of stand alone version - which logs into 1password.com itself, instead of integrating with the app.

The result is that it's rather unusable, as I - of course - keep most of my passwords and all of my credit cards on a private vault. The only passwords on the web are some rather low value passwords that are shared with my wife, like Netflix, the temperature for aircon etc. Any tips?
There is an option in the extension for integration with the desktop app, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

On my old laptop I seem to use an extension called "1password extension (desktop app required)" - but I can't find that anymore.

As an aside, the bug with not being able to access the main vaults seem to be present in the new extension for iOS/iPadOS as well, but since the old way works with all the passwords that's not that big a problem - I just don't use the extension.

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: MacOS 12.0.1

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @xyzzy01 ,

The new extension indeed works directly with 1Password.com vaults only, as standalone vaults are becoming obsolete. You might find this post about the future of standalone vaults very interesting: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/602340/#Comment_602340

If you'd like to keep using the 1Password Classic extension in your browser, here's how: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/
    On iOS, instead of using the extension, you'll want to keep using the regular autofill mechanism that is built into iOS (the one that shows up above your keyboard) and set 1Password as the default autofill provider in the device's settings.

• xyzzy01
    xyzzy01
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the link to the link to the 1password classic extension - that will solve my problem short term.

Longer term, looking at your link it looks like I need to find some new software - I've been using 1password since 2008 and bought every version for Mac, iPhone and iPad (remember when those apps were separate purchases?) and even bought a subscription. Moving away from owning and having full control over my own passwords to putting them on someone elses service is a no-go.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hey @xyzzy01 ,

Your passwords are locally stored on each device you install 1Password on - it will work offline even if you don't have internet access (or if something happens to our servers for that matter).

Our service is here to replace the old sync options (Dropbox, iCloud, WLAN etc) which caused oh-so-many troubles to our customers over the years. Not only did we resolve all of these sync issues with our own home-made cloud service, but we actually made it a lot more secure than the other sync options as well by adding the Secret Key, which is an additional layer of encryption to your data on our servers, ensuring your data is completely unreadable to anyone but you.

I definitely understand where you're coming from as I had my own doubts and concerns initially, but once I understood the security and encryption of it all I knew it is the best way to go. If you're interested:

If you have any specific questions or concerns, we'll be happy to address them :)

This discussion has been closed.