macOS 11: The wrong version of 1Password keeps getting launched

Options
Thorgrim
Thorgrim
Community Member

My problem is probably a macOS 11 issue but it's driving me crazy and seems to only involve 1Password.

I have my internal SSD split into 2 partitions, one is macOS 11.6.1 and the other is OS X 10.14.6. The spotlight index is turned off for the 10.14 volume.

When I boot my machine into macOS 11, the version of 1password on the 10.14 volume is ALWAYS the version that gets launched. I then get a polite complaint from the 1Password. To run the correct version I have to "Quit 1Password Completely" and on relaunching, the correct version is used.

Any ideas? Hidden settings?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: 7.9.1
OS Version: macOS 11.6.1
Referrer: forum-search:wrong version of 1password is launched

Comments

• Hey @Thorgrim,

Great question here! My colleague Rudy has spoken a bit about it here in the context of backups, rather than multiple partitions.

The short version is that due to the way the 1Password extension helper needs to be started up for the various extensions to communicate with it, the extension helper needs to be reachable via a named XPC service. To do this, we request that the extension helper is set as a Login item. The catch here however is that the job created internally by macOS in order to manage this interaction isn't super specific about the path it should launch the extension helper from, and if there's multiple copies of 1Password.app on your Mac, the one that is launched is non-deterministically selected.

As a workaround, zipping up the copy of 1Password.app on your 10.14 partition should resolve your issue when you're on macOS 11. Let me know how that goes.

Jack

• Thorgrim
    Thorgrim
    Community Member
    Options

Ouch! Thanks Apple a bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water... I can use 10.14 just don't use any passwords...

Is there a way of shutting off that standard launch mechanism and just adding 1Password to the Login Items or creating a .plist?

For example, disabling the Extension Helper in preferences and then adding a Login Item and leaving 1Password running

• @thorgrim,

Unfortunately that wouldn't bless the process in the way that it needs to be blessed to launch with sufficient access to register its named xpc service listener.

• Thorgrim
    Thorgrim
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

Why am I reminded of Lando Calrissian in The Empire Strikes Back grumbling about deals with Darth Vader? How did we end up at Apple = The Empire? I know trying to report this to Apple currently is a huge waste of time.

I guess I'll just do the quit/relaunch dance as required.

Thanks for the explanations.

Love 1Password. Would be much less secure without it.

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2021
    Options

Thank you for your understanding @Thorgrim and thank you for being part of 1Password! :)

This discussion has been closed.