Import Option is missing from windows app

Options
danielbo
danielbo
Community Member

I was able to use Mr Cs to create a 1pif file but there is no import option in the app for it.

Any idea how I should go about importing this onepif file or any way to convert it to CSV? When I try to covert it just give me an HTML file.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @danielbo:

Currently, 1Password 8 does not have import functionality, but it's something we're actively working on. In the meantime, uninstalling 1Password 8, installing 1Password 7, and using 1Password 7 to import your .1pif file should get you all set. Let us know if you run into any trouble along the way!

Jack.

ref: dev/core/core#8586

• danielbo
    danielbo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks you @jack.platten !

• Glad @jack.platten has helped here, @danielbo. And we're looking forward to the import functionality roll-out so we can provide some good options around this! Thanks for your understanding as things come together. 🙂

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2022
    Options

Edit: 1Password 8 can import CSV and 1PUX. The converter suite was also updated to generate 1PUX file.

In the mean time, I've updated the converter suite README to indicate that 1Password 8 does not yet import.

• Thank you @MrC! We're looking forward to changing that.

• tenglek
    tenglek
    Community Member
    Options

It's March 2022 now and there's still no Import capability? Why did you release 1Password 8 without this function, which is important for users switching from another password manager? I'm on Windows 10.

• PadainFain
    PadainFain
    Community Member
    Options

Still no such function and I can't find any resource to download version 7 from.

I like the app a great deal, happy to open my wallet for it, but not if it means manually copying over 700 sets of credentials.

• Hi @PadainFain:

1Password 7 for Windows is still available for download here: https://1password.com/downloads/windows/

You may have to scroll down to the bottom of the page. Let me know if you're able to find it.

Jack

• tenglek
    tenglek
    Community Member
    Options

Hi PadianFain, You have to Import by logging into the website with the version 8 app; no need to downgrade to V7. Click the down arrow under your name once you login into the website.

1Password works well, but functions are scattered whimsically (nonsensically?) among the web extension, Windows app and website. Once I learned that, it was easier to get things done. However, when you switch over from another app which has all functions -- as it should -- the first time user is not alerted about the scatter-shot approach to various functions. I have written Support with a suggestion to add a simple alert, but it seems support for the new user is not a priority. I'd grade 1Password 8 overall, but 2 for first time use (particularly upon switch over from a user-friendly app).

• Hi @tenglek, thanks for the feedback here. Import is an ongoing area of work for us here, and I have passed your feedback about where a user can and should expect to find things on to the appropriate team.

As always, if anyone reading this thread has immediate import needs, feel free to reach out to us and we can advise you on the best way to get your data imported into 1Password. 👍

• elliotg22
    elliotg22
    Community Member
    Options

Middle of October and still no fix. Nor as far as I can see, nothing in the introductory material about the workaround. On my first day with 1password I was tearing my hair out with frustration. Luckily I found the above solution from tengiek and I was away. This should be in the introductory material. I am sure 1passord have lost many newcomers who gave up trying and moved to another password manager. It makes no sense not to provide some easy to access information, and even better fix the problem! It is getting close to a year!!!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@elliotg22

1Password can import 1PUX and imports from several password managers, and CSV.

See: https://support.1password.com/import-1password-com/

Also, the converter suite can convert from many password managers.

See: https://1password.community/discussion/101693/moving-to-1password-from-another-password-manager#latest

• Thanks for your assistance here, @MrC!

This discussion has been closed.