How to do TLD matching for Firebase apps instead of FQDN matching

Options

I'm using 1Password to store credentials for various Firebase apps (e.g. hosted at dev.firebaseapp.com, stg.firebaseapp.com, prod.firebaseapp.com, ). For our dev project we are using Firebase previews which ends up creating a URL similar to dev--pr38-example.firebaseapp.com.

I'm using the 1Password Chrome extension v2.1.4 and I have a password stored for each app. My understanding was that 1Password will match the TLD (in this case firebaseapp.com) but it seems to be matching exact FQDN instead as I only get the credentials for the specific domain in the main channels and nothing for the preview URL.

I've tried adding the site https://firebaseapp.com to each of the credentials but that makes no difference. For comparison, I tested this on another domain and it has the expected results (multiple credentials returned, match to FQDN is first, TLD matches follow).

Is there a special case for this domain that is prevent TLD matching?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hey @kylemcnallycr ,

Yes, there are certain domains that are listed in a special list so that 1Password will treat URLs that contain that domain but have different subdomains as separate login entities.

This is crucial for websites that keep the base domain but contain a completely different website when adding a subdomain. Wordpress is a great example, as every subdomain before the wordpress.com part is a completely different website, so we address it as such.

Same principal applies with Firebaseapp.com and other such services (e.g. Heroku).

If you're looking for a way to show all logins, it would be via the extension's window itself and not in the dropdown suggestions list. Click the 1Password extension icon in your browser's toolbar and search for "firebase" - that should display all logins.

Alternatively, you can utilize tags. Add unique tags to the login entries (e.g. "prodFirebase", "devFirebas") and then when you type these tags in the search it will show all relevant logins filtered out nicely for you.

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

Woah, so you do have a version of the exact domain matching feature people have requested for over a decade, it’s just for urls in a “special list”? Interesting to know for when it gets shot down again the future. 😕

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @andmade ,
    Nothing is being shot down. We always document feature requests from users, and have some outstanding ones that we intend to address once we finish the current development roadmap of 1Password 8 :)

• kylemcnallycr
    kylemcnallycr
    Community Member
    Options

Understood. It would definitely be preferable to have some control over this. I'd be a big fan of wildcard support instead of a simpler toggle between different modes if it was ever implemented. I don't think this is above the standard user - the default workflow of adding a new password wouldn't expose people to this feature unless they went looking.

I appreciate the workaround but it really isn't great to keep having to go into the extension window over and over. +1 if there was anyway of getting this bumped up in the backlog.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2021
    Options

Agreed :)
    Thanks for the additional feedback here, much appreciated!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#31

This discussion has been closed.