How do I find the version of 1password used on my Windows 10 PC? I want to export the logins listed

Options
WLourier
WLourier
Community Member

I like to export all existing logins from 1Password on my PC windows 10, but the instructions I find do not seem to match. They rever to finding three dots, which I don not see in the 1password screen. Those instructions refer to 1Password8 (or ...7 .. or lower). I have version 2.1.4 according the settings.

1Password Version: 2.1.4
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 10 64 bit
Referrer: forum-search:How do I find the version of 1password used on my Windows 10 PC?

Comments

• Hi @WLourier:

Exporting passwords will need to be done using the desktop version of 1Password, not the browser extension. 1Password 8 currently can only export as a .1pux file. 1Password 7 can export as either a .csv file or a text file. To open 1Password for Windows, use the Start menu to launch 1Password. If you are currently using 1Password 8, and would like to export your data as a CSV or a text file, you will need to uninstall 1Password 8, and reinstall 1Password 7 temporarily to export your items.

Keep in mind however that these files are not encrypted in any way, and as such you should be extremely careful on how they are stored. Let me know how that goes.

Jack

• WLourier
    WLourier
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jack, I succeeded in exporting the information to the .1pux file. I read somewhere in an answer that such files work like a ZIP file and should be able to be openened (unzipped)? However, I can't seem to find that answer again. Can you assist?

• Hey @WLourier:

Glad you were able to export the file! As we've mentioned elsewhere, the .1pux format is not quite human readable, in the sense that you could easily print a copy and store it in a safety deposit box. If that's what you're attempting to do, exporting from 1Password 7 would be your best bet.

Jack

• WLourier
    WLourier
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, clear. Various topics mention that improvements are being worked on to allow clear backup export. Any idea of the timeline? If not, would you have a link to a topic explaining how to replace 1PW8 by 1PW7, without loosing all existing logins? I take it I will not have to change any apps on the phones? Thanks and best regards, Will

• Hi @WLourier:

Thanks for following up! We're hesitant to offer a specific timeframe on this until the work is done. In the meantime, as long as all items from 1Password 8 are showing on your other devices, and on 1Password.com, switching from 1Password 8 to 1Password 7 is as follows:

1. Ensure that you have a copy of your Emergency Kit handy.
    2. Uninstall 1Password 8 by searching for 1Password in the Windows Start menu, right clicking, and selecting Uninstall
    3. Download and install 1Password 7 from: https://1password.com/downloads/windows/
    4. Sign in to 1Password 7.

As for your phones, you won't need to change any apps there.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.