1PW8/Fastmail integration - Ability to manually generate a masked email in 1PW8 desktop app

Options
sixsixty
sixsixty
Community Member

I don't see an option to create a masked email through the 1PW8 desktop application or the browser plugin when manually creating a login entry. If the option is there, can someone show me how to get to it? Otherwise, would it be possible to add that integration/functionality? This is in regards to the masked email service via Fastmail.

The only way I'm able to create a masked email through 1PW is when I'm on a webpage specifically for registering/signing-up, and usually, the 1PW browser plugin will recognize the site as a registration webpage and offer the option to create a masked email within the email field.

First of all, this method works most of the time, but not always. (FWIW, from what I've experienced so far, I think it mostly breaks on registration webpages that place the email field and password field on separate pages, i.e., when asking you to register, at first, you only see an email field. It's only after you enter an email and click next do you see the password field. For whatever reason, this methodology in website registration seems to break the ability for 1PW to recognize and provide the "Create Masked Email" option in that email field.)

Secondly, when trying to manually create a new login entry in the 1PW8 desktop app, I don't see an option to create a masked email.

The only way I've been able to create a masked email in either of those scenarios is to log into fastmail.com, manually create one, and then paste it into the 1PW8 desktop application which (re)adds the handful of steps that I could have done before 1PW and Fastmail started offering the convenience of the integrated service.

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Win10 20H2 (19042.1348)

Comments

• Hi @sixsixty:

As it currently stands, you're absolutely right, 1Password in the browser would be the way to create new masked emails. With that in mind however, we do currently have an internal feature request to create and manage masked emails from the desktop app as well. While I can't make any promises as to when or if this would be implemented, I have added your voice to the issue. Thanks again for your feedback here!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#10505

• bioandroid
    bioandroid
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this feature request, sometimes websites that have you enter and email first and then a password don't prompt me to generate a masked email. So I have to take the extra steps sixsixty mentioned which is what I was hoping to avoid when I signed up for fastmail. Thanks!

• Hi @bioandroid:

Thanks for your additional feedback, I've added you to the above issue! :+1:

Jack

• joeydriessen
    joeydriessen
    Community Member
    Options

Please add my voice too :) Although a lot of the "automated" features work great. When it doesn't it is really a burden to make it work. So to make this work also as a standalone option in the app/extension would be great!

P.S: Not the right section but wondering if there are plans to get this to Android as well? At this moment it is pretty hard to create an account with a masked email on an Android.

• Hey @joeydriessen:

I've added your voice to the issue I mentioned above. 😀

As for Masked Email support on Android, I'll share your thoughts on that as well.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.