Add new file to item / attach document not working properly

Options
chris970
chris970
Community Member

Hello - in all previous versions of 1Password (currently using desktop app for Mac 7.9.2), the process for adding a document to an item was very simple, however it currently appears to be broken. For example, to attach a text document to an item, you simply edited the item, clicked on "add new file," uploaded the document and the document was both automatically uploaded to 1PW as a document and linked to that specific item.

However, that feature is currently not working. When I choose "add a new file" the document seems to be embedded into the item, but it is NOT showing up under Documents. Additionally, when logging into the web version of 1Password, that item doesn't show the item link, but instead displays the following error "This item has an unsupported field" - see attached screenshot. I have replicated this every time a new document is added to an existing item. The only workaround is to upload the document first, and then to edit the item and link it back to the document. But this workaround has never been needed in the past. Please let me know if this is a known bug, or if for some reason my app is corrupted and needs to be reinstalled. Everything else works normal.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.6.1

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hello @chris970! 👋

I'm sorry that you've run into trouble when adding files to 1Password. File attachments are indeed a new feature that we introduced with 1Password for Mac version 7.8.8 in October, they allow you to store files inside of your other items without the need to create a completely separate item for that file. At the moment file attachments are not yet supported on 1Password.com (this is why you're seeing the "This item has an unsupported field" message) and this is on our developer's radar as something to implement as soon as possible. I've added your comments to our internal work item for the feature so that they know that you'd like to see this added.

If you'd like to upload a file as a separate item and link it to another item then the process that you're using sounds correct:

1. Upload the file as its own Document item.
    2. Use the Link Existing button from the edit screen for an item.
    3. Locate the Document item you uploaded and link the two items together.

Please let me know if you have any questions. :)

ref: dev/b5/b5#14132

• chris970
    chris970
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response - it will be great to have the dev team update this for 1Password.com, or give an option in settings for the user to set the default way attachments are handled when added to an item (I've been using 1PW for probably 12+ years, so this was confusing to see this behavior but I probably missed the release notes). I actually prefer the new method of having the attachment embedded in the item without the separate document item, it just adds a little confusion since all my previous items that were created prior to the new feature are linked as separate documents/items. But at least now I know it's not user error on my end and understand the new functionality. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Dave, you are welcome @chris970! Let us know if you have any other questions :)

This discussion has been closed.