1Password 8 Settings Guide

Options
Joelc
Joelc
Community Member

Although the website is full of helpful information I cannot find a guide or weblink that explains the different setting in the the Settings window.

I know that most of the settings are obvious but there are one or two that I a not 100% sure what they do or mean.

I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction so that I can get my setup fully tweaked.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• Hi @joelc, thanks so much for reaching out to us!

Can you let us know what specific settings you'd like more information about? We'd be happy to point you in the right direction and/or answer any questions you have. Thanks! :)

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d : Appreciate you following up with me.

I have figured most of the items out on my but the ones that I am still not 100% clear on are as follows:

1. Keep 1Passowrd In The Menu Bar: What is benefit of putting 1PW in the menu bar? How is it different from simply opening Safari and unlocking 1PW as I need to unlock 1PW in all cases?

2. Show Auto-Saved Web Details: What are the auto-saved web details and what exactly does this control / do?

3. Keep Item Detail Windows On Top: What exactly does this do?

Much appreciated and thanks.

Joel

• Hi @Joelc:

"Keep 1Password in the menu bar" or "Keep 1Password in the notification area" will allow you to access 1Password from your menu bar on macOS, or the notification area on Windows:

1Password in your browser will save all form details on a page when saving a Login item and fill them in next time. In some cases, you may need to reference the details that were saved or modify or delete them. Enabling "Show auto-saved web details" will make these details visible.

"Keep item detail windows on top" is for when working with the pop out item window, which can be opened from either Quick Access by searching for the item and selecting "Open in New Window" from more options, or selecting the item in the main 1Password window, then clicking the menu button for the item, then "Open in New Window". In case you need to reference an item using the pop out window, enabling "Keep item detail windows on top" will allow you to work with a window. For example, if I were writing a note to Dave, and wanted to reference a cookie recipe, I could open Wendy's cookie recipe in a new window, and type in my document, while keeping the window containing the cookie recipe on top:

Let me know if that helped clear up your questions!

Jack

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

@jack.platten , all clear and much appreciated.

Thank you.

• Glad to hear that @jack.platten 's reply has been helpful here, @joelc. And we're here for any further follow-up! 👍

This discussion has been closed.