What is the advantage of installing a desktop client for 1PW over just using "1Password" extension?

Options
amswitzer
amswitzer
Community Member

I can't determine the advantages of the 1PW client if I'm already running the browser extension. Any insight?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @amswitzer:

When using the desktop application of 1Password, in addition to being able to easily manage and edit your items from an application, instead of needing to use my.1Password.com, you also gain the ability to keep 1Password in your browser unlocked for however long the 1Password desktop application is unlocked. Additionally, because the 1Password desktop application is handling the unlocking, Windows Hello can be used to unlock 1Password for Windows, and by extension, unlock 1Password in your browser as well.

Jack

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member
    Options

Another advantage, though not used by most, is the desktop client let's you drag passwords from the desktop client into non-browser interfaces, like SSH, Toad, or RDP sessions. Some of those mediums (RDP in particular) often don't support copy & paste so that's a huge benefit for some.

• You can also manage items en masse in the desktop app - for example, copying a bunch of items from one vault to another.

(For anyone who is interested, you can select multiple items in 1Password for Windows by using ctrl + click to select multiple individual items, or ctrl + a to select all items in a list. Very useful if you have a bunch of items in one vault that you decide you want to delete, archive, or move to another vault without having to click, move, click, move for each one!)

This discussion has been closed.