1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:microsoft authenticator

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@keitht1958 Are you trying to set-up Microsoft Authenticator so that you can use it to access your personal Microsoft account? Or are you trying to use 1Password to achieve the same?

If using Microsoft Authenticator then download the app to your phone, click on the three dots in the top right, select Add account, click on (Microsoft) personal account and sign in to your Microsoft personal account.

If using 1Password then navigate to the following page in a browser:

https://account.live.com/proofs/manage/additional

Click on Add a new way to sign in or verify -> Use an app -> set up a different authenticator app

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

no i already microsoft authenticator on my phone using it for hotmail
    but 1password does not show it in two factor setups
    so i was trying to enter one time password but cant find it on microsoft website

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

@keitht1958 One time passcodes are the rotating 6 digit code generated by authenticator apps and 1Password for 2FA. You will not find one on a website. Before an authenticator app or 1Password can generate the one time passcodes you need to give it the long term secret used to generate them. This is usually contained in a QR code.

Are you looking for the QR code which will allow 1Password to generate one time passcodes for accessing your Hotmail account? If so, follow the second set of instructions above. You can reach the same page by clicking on your account name in the top right of your Hotmail page and selecting View account.

https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

ok i followed link selected add password for app selected outlook.com
    pasted code in 1password authenticator login it accepted password
    now i see spinning blue circle which sometimes turns red
    went in watchtower but microsoft not there so not sure if this worked

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@keitht1958 When you went to the live.com page, did you click on "Add a new way to sign in or verify" or "Create a new app password"?

I think you need to do the former, but sounds like you did the latter.

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

i did create a new/app password then entered password in 1password authenticator login

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@keitht1958 Please could you answer the following questions?

1. Are you trying to set-up 2FA on an existing Microsoft/Hotmail account?
    2. Is 2FA already enabled on this Microsoft/Hotmail account?
    3. Do you already have a login item saved in 1Password with the username and password for this Microsoft/Hotmail account?
    4. Have you read the following 1Password page on using 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication?

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

yes 2FA already setup for hotmail on my mobile
    your link says get one time password from website but i have tried that and found no password

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

i have checked hotmail app password it only gives option of creating new app password
    there is no option of verify

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@keitht1958 An app password is for use by apps that don't support 2FA. It's not what you need to allow 1Password to operate as a 2FA authenticator for your Microsoft account.

I don't know why you don't see the option to "Add a new way to sign in or verify". Have you tried accessing the live.com page from a different device, e.g. a laptop or desktop?

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

tried microsoft on desktop and tried on laptop but would accept password so clicked forgot password and it wanted to send code to another email but said too many codes today try again tomorrow.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

If you link the Microsoft authenticator with your Microsoft account, you don't get any QR code. It's some kind of proprietary connection and it enables push notifications. As far as I see it, this link is called "Send sign-in notification" in the security options of your Microsoft account on the Microsoft website. Regular TOTP codes don't include push notifications.

To get a universal TOTP code usable from within 1Password, you need to "add a new way to sign in or verify" in your Microsoft account and choose "Enter a code from an authenticator app". With this, you get a QR code/TOTP secret you can enter in 1Password.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@keitht1958 Sounds like you're trying to login to your Hotmail/Microsoft account using an "App password". This won't work, you need to use your Hotmail/Microsoft account password.

There's no point saving the App password in 1Password. It is a fixed password used by email programs that don't support 2FA. It does not give 1Password the information it needs to generate the 6 digit one time passcodes.

For you to be able to use 1Password to login to Hotmail/Microsoft you need to ensure that:

1. 1Password has your Microsft/Hotmail account username and password: do you have these saved as a login item in 1Password?
    2. You need to disable passwordless mode on your Microsoft/Hotmail account: check this setting at https://account.live.com/proofs/manage/additional
  • keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

I don't know why you don't see the option to "Add a new way to sign in or verify". Have you tried accessing the live.com page from a different device, e.g. a laptop or desktop?

tried microsoft live from my mobile and desktop but when i click new way to sign in or verify dont see option for code

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@keitht1958 You're not looking for a code. As far as Microsoft is concerned, 1Password is an authenticator app.

Click on Add a new way to sign in or verify -> Use an app -> set up a different authenticator app

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

done qrcode twice first time it setup hotmail account but it did give option to change password which i was struggling with but now i have two similar hot mail accounts on authenticator
    then done qrcode again and it made account for 1password then microsoft generated app code put that in onetime password in login and got spinning blue circle

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@keitht1958 If you want 1Password to automatically generate the one time passcodes needed to log-in to your Hotmail/Microsoft account then you need to scan the QR code with 1Password. Click on 1Password icon->Three dots->Scan QR Code

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

How to Generate Two-Factor Authentication Codes in 1Password

I have put in label one time password in Microsoft authenticator login
    Scanned 1password qrcode
    Put in my account details including secret key
    Then it asks for 6-digit authentication code
    Incorrect authentication code.
    Make sure your device has the correct date and time.
    Date and time is set
    I have three accounts on Microsoft authenticator 2 Hotmail and 1 1password
    Tried one time passwords from all three accounts
    I also copied code from same page as qrcode
    When I pasted code in one timecode I pasted secret code
    This gave me blue spinning circle with a 6 digit code I tried this but that was rejected too.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@keitht1958 I'm still confused about what you're trying to achieve.

1. If you want to use 1Password to generate two factor authentication one time passcodes for accessing Microsoft services then 1Password needs to scan the QR code found on the Microsoft website.

https://account.live.com/proofs/manage/additional

1. If you want to use Microsoft Authenticator to generate two factor authentication one time passcodes for accessing 1Password services then Microsoft Authenticator needs to scan the QR code on the 1Password website.

https://my.1password.com/profile/2fa

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

used Qrcode on microsoft website verify that gave me two fresh accounts live email and 1 password
    scanned Qrcode on 1password that gave me secret key entered in one time password and a 6 digit code app[eared
    entered this in set up authenticator app but code always fails tells me about time and date checked this and turned off automatic time settings still fails tried several codes.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@keitht1958 The QR code on your 1Password profile page contains your email address and secret key for setting up a 1Password app. It does not contain the 2FA secret required by an authenticator app to generate 2FA one time passcodes for accessing your 1Password account. For this you need to go to the 2FA page I linked to earlier.

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

i have already scanned qrcode at microsoft this gave me account for outlook email and account for 1password
    i also scanned qrcode at 1password this gave me six digit code that did not work
    i dont want 2fa for 1password i am just trying to tell it i have microsoft authenticator

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@keitht1958 You cannot use Microsoft Authenticator to log in to 1Password. You can only use it for 2FA on your 1Password account.

If you don't want to use Microsoft Authenticator for 2FA on your 1Password account then it doesn't need to know about 1Password.

• keitht1958
    keitht1958
    Community Member

was not trying to log in 1password from microsoft or use 2fa on it was trying to inform watchtower that i have microsoft authenticator

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@keitht1958 There's no way to tell Watchtower that you are using Microsoft Authenticator on a particular account. However, you can stop the Two Factor Authentication Available warnings by adding a 2FA tag to each login entry where this appears and you have set-up 2FA outside of 1Password.

• Hi @keitht1958:

@rootzero touched on exactly what I would have mentioned (thanks for the assist! :smile:). Using the tag 2FA will tell Watchtower to not offer to save the 2FA for that Login item.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.